This recipe is combination of sweet, sticky and chili which gives you the best spicy eggplant tofu recipe! The fried tofu, fried eggplant and chili vegetables make this an amazing dish! If you like vegetarian recipes and you don’t mind tofu or eggplant then you simply must try this recipe. All it takes is a bit of organization but its very easy.
Lets start with the Eggplant/Brinjal/Aubergine – All The Same Vegetable
For this spicy eggplant tofu you can fry, grill or steam your eggplant and having tried all these options I much rather have mine fried in this particular recipe.
Slice and Salt the Eggplant
Here’s How to Properly Drain Eggplant
- Lay your sliced eggplants on a flat surface eg. breadboard, kitchen counter top, slab etc.
- Salt them quite generously with salt (I prefer salting with coarse salt but any salt works)
- Cover the eggplant with a clean kitchen towel or kitchen tissue paper
- Lay another board on top of the towel/paper
- Place a heavy object on top of the board like a skillet/grilling pan.
Why its Necessary to Drain The Eggplant?
Because eggplant has water and you need to remove the water if you want to get a crispy firm finish when fried
Another reason is to remove the bitter taste in the peel (although not all eggplants are grown in the same way which makes this an ‘old wives theory‘ but I prefer it this way so it remains optional to you.
Frying The Eggplant
Once the eggplant has drained the salt through, 30 minutes to an hour, rinse under a running tap getting all the salt out. Use a clean dry kitchen towel to dry any excess water. Either way it must be dry before you start frying otherwise you end up with oil splattering!
Heat your oil and fry the sliced dry veg and set aside on paper towel to drain the oil.
- Cut your tofu into squares (No the squares don’t have to be equal 🙂
- Sprinkle some maizena or flour over the tofu and heat a little oil in a pan.
- Fry the tofu for a few minutes turning over constantly till beautifully browned.
- To see how to properly drain tofu, check out this Easy Tofu Recipe in 10 Minutes
Once the tofu is fried golden brown, set aside. Now you should have your tofu squares and eggplant slices fried and cooling. Now lets start on the Chili Veg Mix!
Chili Veggie Mix
Chop the onions, yellow pepper, chili, radish and garlic cloves
Add all the spices in with the chopped veg and set aside. Your chili veg mix is ready.
The Final Product!
Take the fried eggplants, fried tofu and toss together with the spicy veg mix!
- Prepare the eggplant draining process ahead of time if you can.
- If you prefer a thicker consistency of the sauce just double the chili sauce and soy, taste as you go.
THE BEST EGGPLANT & SPICY TOFU RECIPE & HOW TO PROPERLY COOK BRINJALS
- 2-3 eggplants
- 1 cup firm tofu
- 1 cup maizena or flour for frying
Chili Veggie Mix
- 1 red onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 fresh large chili
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 3-4 medium sized radish
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp masala curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- drizzle olive oil
- vegetable oil for frying
- Slice the rinsed EGGPLANTS, place on a board/bowl and sprinkle with coarse salt & cover to drain the water. 30 min should be good.
- Place the TOFU on a board and cover it with a clean kitchen towel then place another board on top of that and then place a skillet/grill or any heavy object to help drain the tofu. Leave it for 30 min.
- Meanwhile prepare your veggies by finely chopping the onion, yellow pepper, chili, radish and garlic cloves.
- Mix all the prepared veggies in a bowl and add the rest of the curry powders, spices, sauces and set aside till the eggplant and tofu is ready. (you can also leave it in the fridge)
- Remove the heavy objects from the tofu. Rinse under cold water. Tap dry with kitchen towel.
- Cut into squares and place in a colander or strainer and cover with maizena/flour.
- Heat a pan with vegetable oil and fry the tofu (just make sure its properly dried you don't want water in that hot oil!) till golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Remove the salt from the eggplant by rinsing under a running tap. Dry the eggplant off before frying brown on both sides and let it rest on tissue paper to remove any excess oil.
- Toss together the fried EGGPLANT, fried TOFU and the CHILI VEG MIX!
Veg Its best to start with the eggplant draining and tofu draining. While that's happening you can get started on the Veg Chili Mix and leave it in the fridge until you are ready to toss the tofu and the eggplant in. The ingredients are a long list of nothing but spices and sauces really so don't be overwhelmed. These are your every day ingredients.
You are more than welcome to add your favorite spices and sauces as well.