This black bean recipe is not always perfect for every meal,however, some days are perfect for water melon, others for seafood, some for cocktails and today is perfect for an almost winter but not yet there dish, hence our black beans welcoming winter meal. As a winter human I love the colder days, the days that are called dull and not so good, those nights when fires and lamps are all lit, ah yes, that is my idea of perfection, so is this black bean recipe and I hope you absolutely enjoy it, the process of cooking as well as eating it 🙂
Black Bean Recipe – Easy and Delicious!
Black Bean Welcoming Winter Dish
Black beans can used in numerous recipes, salads and soups included and they will freeze for up to 6 months.
- 1 cup of black beans (soaked the night before)
- 4 cups of home-made vegetable stock or water
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of tomato puree
- Olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1 fresh chilli
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Drain and thoroughly rinse the soaked beans and set aside.
- Step 2 Chop the onion, garlic and pepper and fry in a little oil, adding your favorite spices.
- Step 3 Toss in your rinsed and drained beans
- Step 4 Let it fry into the onion mix for 2-3 minutes
- Step 5 Add in the stock
- Step 6 Cover, lower the heat to a simmer and let it cook.
- Step 7 Keep checking and add a little more stock/water as required but the beans will need a minimum of an hour to cook
- Step 8 Just before they completely cooked through, add in the corn and continue cooking till corn and beans are both done to your liking
- Step 9 Add in you herb 5 minutes before serving.
You can cook fresh beans the same day, hours before if you like but the reason its better to soak them is that they cook better and quicker and they are easily digestible. I remember my mom cooking brown beans and always soaking them the night before and they always tasted delicious! The home-made stock adds all the flavor that the beans need.