An Easy, Healthy and Nutritious Soup in Just Twenty Minutes!
Seriously, what can you make in under an hour that is also wholesome, healthy, nutritious and delicious besides an awesome soup especially when it’s pouring with rain? I know, a good bowl of soup is like a good cup of tea, all is good with the world again.
I didn’t have any stock on hand but wanted to make soup using homemade stock so I decided to quickly make the stock at the same time that I was cooking the soup and hoped that it would be ready on time. Making a stock is so quick – toss all the veggies in a pot while you are getting your preparation done for the soup and by the time you are ready the stock will be just about ready too.
Method of Cooking The Stock While Making The Soup
Add all the stock veggies in a pot to cook while you prepare your chickpea soup.
While the stock is on the stove cooking, chop your onions, carrots and garlic
Prepare your canned tomato, paste and spices.
I use the shop bought canned tomato’s and they are never as smooth as I like them so after opening them I always pour the canned tomato’s in a bowl and use a masher to slightly mash them up not a blender because then they become a puree and you don’t want to lose the texture.
By the time that you are done with ‘soup prep’ your stock is ready to be added….
Heat up a saucepan add the oil and toss in your chopped ingredients, onion, carrots and garlic and allow to cook by which time the stock should be ready
Add the rest of the ingredients and let it cook
After you’ve drained the stock, keep aside 2-3 cups of stock and add in gradually until ready.
If you keep the liquid of the chickpeas you can add half and half of the liquid and the stock
Taste, season and serve with crusty baked bread with a little garlic and olive oil brushed over the bread
Chickpea & Tomato Chilli Soup
Healthy, nutritious, easy and delicious!
- 2 cans chickpea (keep the liquid - optional)
- 1 can chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 green onion
- 1 sliced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cups of stock
- Bunch of baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon coarse Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion and sliced carrot. Let it cook for about 5 -8 minutes
- Step 2 Toss in the chopped garlic and allow it to cook
- Step 3 Once the carrots, onions and garlic are slightly and beautifully browned toss in the following ingredients:
- Step 4 Tomato, paste, stock, chickpeas, spices, salt and freshly ground pepper
- Step 5 Lower the heat and allow to simmer for about 20 min
- Step 6 Add in the spinach (or your chosen greenery)
- Step 7 Cook for a further 5 minutes, garnish and serve with fresh lemon