When you love bread as much as I do it becomes a challenge making breakfast without thinking about toasted rye or some or other whole grain bread to have with eggs of any kind. I have been making lot’s of effort in whipping up breakfast and eliminating the bread and with much success when breakfast tastes this good.
This morning was no different. The minute I started to crack and separate the eggs to use the whites only, from nowhere popped into my head this line: “imagine how good this would be on a nice slice of toasted rye….mmmmm…that ‘habit loop’ again you know, I’m constantly challenging it.
Honestly, sometimes I find that I am doing something without actually thinking about it and although that’s not always bad it creates habits which sometimes we need to challenge especially when it comes to what we eat.
Anyway, back to the Egg Whites and Mushroom Breakfast!
If you are substituting the mushrooms for someone who doesn’t eat mushrooms, then either use 2 pans or start with the non mushroom dish first if you are using the same pan (to avoid unnecessary washing up and the mushroom taste for the other person)
Egg Whites For Breakfast
A fantastic substitute to the traditional eggs on toast breakfast which takes 10 minutes to prepare and is full of goodness!
- 3-4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon oil
- handful of sliced mushrooms
- handful of chopped green pepper
- half an onion (chopped)
- baby spinach
- dash of soy or fish sauce
- dried chilli
- dried oregano
- any fresh herb
- 2 or 3 slices of avocado (optional)
- Step 1 Heat the pan and cook the egg whites. Set aside.
- Step 2 Fry the mushrooms in the oil of your choice
- Step 3 After a minute add in the pepper & onion.
- Step 4 Add in a dash of light soy or fish sauce and let cook for a further 2 min or so
- Step 5 Toss in the halved tomatoes
- Step 6 Layer the baby spinach first, top with the mushroom mix
- Step 7 Add the egg white right on top
- Step 8 Add on the avocado if you are using any
- Step 9 Sprinkle with dried chili flakes and any type of cheese on hand
- Step 10 Top off with fresh herbs.
For extra heat, add in a sliced green chili
Coconut and olive oil were used in this recipe, half/half but any oil works just as good
As my beloved husband doesn’t eat mushrooms nor egg whites I had 2 bowls; 1 for egg whites and 1 for whole eggs
Instead of mushrooms you can substitute with bacon, ham, leftover eggplant or whatever you have in your fridge.
After searching everywhere on Google on how to give credits I honestly hope this is done correctly because PINTEREST is where the inspiration for this recipe came from on one of Melissa’s boards.