When you need Harissa Paste immediately and have none on hand, no need to stress, you can make it from these few ingredients. In other words, what we had on hand at the last minute.
Home-Made Harissa Paste
This is our own home-made version of Harissa Paste if you don't have the original ingredients on hand like peppers.
- Tomato paste
- Fresh Red Chili
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Step 1 Start by grinding the fresh garlic (I used 3 small cloves)
- Step 2 Add the rest of the ingredients and blend into a smooth consistency
- Step 3 If you don’t have a blender use a pestle & mortar as long as you get it into a very smooth consistency
- Step 4 The quantity of the ingredients will depend on how you want it to taste and how thick/thin you want it
- Step 5 Taste and season as you go
Grind the fresh garlic and chili first and then add the olive oil (veg oil will also work if you don’t have olive oil) I just prefer olive oil because its a) a healthier option and b) it’s thicker so the paste tastes better.
Add the oil in slowly so that you can see how much the mix needs as you go.
If you have red peppers and chili’s on hand, you are lucky but this recipe worked perfectly fine. The roasted peppers and chili adds it’s own dimension to the harissa paste but the paprika and cayenne give this a nice kick 🙂