Our Waste Not Rule – Leftovers
Leftovers and gourmet are not normally used in the same sentence or perhaps never used in the same sentence but I firmly believe that you can make a meal from just about any ingredient that you have in your kitchen cupboards and that if you have leftovers then you have gold!
There are no hard & fast rules in my kitchen but rather more of trying something different every day, trial and error and always trying to turn what could be waste into something creative and tasty. Never been big on throwing any food out and certainly very big on preventing waste.
A small container of left over couscous standing in the fridge waiting to be used after I made too much the day before. Some bottled home made harissa paste that seems to last for ages in the fridge, is so easy to make and is a brilliant addition to just about any recipe.
This recipe is all about using your own ingredient estimations depending on what ingredients you have left over.
Shaping the Couscous
Look around your kitchen for small round shaped containers (we all have those) that you can fill the couscous in. Any shaped container really that you think will work, the more creative the better! Slightly dampen the container on the inside so it sticks more like when shaping rice with wet hands and then become creative, circles, rectangular the sky’s the limit. I used an old small baking dish when I shaped the rice in this sweet divine TOFU recipe. It really is divine, you must try it!
Couscous and Harissa Paste For Brunch
This is a straight forward, easy idea of what I did for breakfast/brunch with my leftovers. Ingredient measurements are only an approximate.
- 1 cup cooked couscous
- 1 soft poached or fried egg
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- Sesame and pumpkin seeds for sprinkling
- 3 or 4 cherry tomato's gently sliced from the top but not all the way through
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1 tablespoon avocado pear
- Fresh Lemon
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Blue Cheese for crumbling
- Step 1 Get your couscous into the shape that you want or just serve it the regular way.
- Step 2 Gently add the egg on top
- Step 3 Drizzle harissa paste over the egg
- Step 4 Empty the cucumber by removing the inside and mixing it with the avocado pear (or use only the avocado)
- Step 5 Fill the cucumber with the avocado mix and gently arrange the partially split cherry tomatoes on top with a toothpick in each one
- Step 6 Drizzle drops of balsamic into the tomato’s
- Step 7 Sprinkle the dish with health seeds and crumbled cheese
- Step 8 Serve with fresh lemon and black fresh pepper.