It most certainly is the best healthy butternut filling recipe and after you have tried it, you will not want to have it any other way, I promise you. I know we all love our butternut with cinnamon, honey, brown sugar, butter, even nutmeg but this delicious vegetable will give you a much more satisfying and complete meal. Try it I know you want to!
Butternut is such a popular and well loved vegetable in South African homes as posted about in this recipe that it’s almost impossible not to find it on demand during the winter seasons.
Roasting the butternut is so easy and once it comes out the oven, allow it to cool down completely. While that’s happening you can start assembling your filling. The ingredients used for the filling are likely what you have on hand. If you want to leave out the beans and add chickpeas then go for it.
For a recipe on roasting the butternut
Swap the feta for danish, cheddar or mozzarella cheese it’s always all about what works for you and what you have on hand. I have also tried this same dish with chicken and sour cream topping and not much else so this time I included a cabbage salad and a tomato chili salsa.
The Best Healthy Butternut Filling
Making the salad for the filling was simply a combination of white and red cabbage, red onions and the normal salad additions like tomato and greens. You could even add mushrooms fried beforehand if you are not too keen on having a typical cold salad on the butternut. I found that once the salad was on I could add any other topping which I did and then baked it for another 5 minutes to give it a nice crispy taste.
Healthy Butternut Filling
An easy healthy filling for your roasted butternut
- Half head of white cabbage
- Half head of red cabbage
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 of a large red pepper or 1 small pepper
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic
- 1/2 avocado pear
- Less than a handful of flat Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup of feta cheese
- Step 1 Thinly slice the white and red cabbage
- Step 2 Chop the onion & red pepper
- Step 3 Drain and rinse the black beans
- Step 4 Combine all the sliced cabbage, add the chopped onion, black beans and mix with the olive oil, pepper, salt and balsamic
- Step 5
- Step 6 Toss in the parsley
- Step 7 Serve with spoonfuls of the salad mix, dollops of salsa,crumbled feta and avocado
- Step 8 Finally drizzle a little olive oil just before serving with freshly ground black pepper or cayenne pepper
Serve this recipe with a quick and easy Tomato & Chili Salsa
For more vegetable recipes take a look at this delicious Tofu Eggplant Recipe.