There’s not much to this easy tofu recipe in 10 minutes except the draining process which is explained below. Once that’s done it’s a matter of getting everything in the pan and pronto!
I think I consider myself a patient enough human and the only time I may not have much patience is with other humans when we are just not on the same page so to speak. That’s why I love being in the kitchen, I am calm, patient and enjoy – its my happy place 🙂 Where’s your happy place? Leave me a comment below that would be lovely. Or, you can respond to my subscriber emails like most lovely people do ❤
Let’s get to the draining process shall we?
So how do you get the firm crunchy taste from the tofu? By making sure that the water is all drained so lets do that.
- Place a dish towel on top of a bread board, kitchen counter or flat plate
- Take the tofu and set it firmly on the towel and wrap it over the top
Place a heavy object like a cast iron pot on top of the towel
It needs weight so some canned food will do.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour (best results of a firm tofu piece is an hours draining) before removing the kitchen towel and frying or baking.
Why it’s necessary to drain the tofu?
The idea is to get as much weight firmly on top of the tofu because its the weight that assists in draining the water out. Here is a an idea to show you exactly how I did it. Although the image quality is poor it gives you the gist of what I am trying to say, hopefully.
More Tofu Recipes?
EASY TOFU RECIPE IN 10 MINUTES
How To Drain TOFU
- 2 blocks of tofu (approximately 185 grams)
- chopped fresh garlic 3 cloves
- 2-2.5 tbsp oil
- sliced red onion
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 2 tbps low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Pinch dried chili flakes
- spring onion for garnishing & maizena for texture
- Step 1 Press and drain the tofu blocks for 30 min to an hour (see the instructions under NOTES)
- Step 2 Cut into cubes and dry with kitchen paper towel
- Step 3 Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan
- Step 4 Sprinkle maizena over the tofu and fry till golden brown. Set aside.
- Step 5 Fry the sliced onion and garlic for less than a minute
- Step 6 Add the tofu and ‘sauce’ ingredients
- Step 7 Heat for about 30 seconds
- Step 8 Garnish with fresh sliced spring onion.