This healthy spring breakfast is exactly what we need to help us stay positive with what we eat. I love good food and it’s meals like this that give me a spring in my step as we head toward Spring! Really looking forward to summer even though I do appreciate the winter especially the wonderful rains that it showered over us. Lord knows Cape Town desperately needed the showers.
Healthy Spring Breakfast
As more of a brunch person I’m not the best advocate for breakfast and that’s the great thing about this omelette, it’s not restricted to just breakfast.
Keeping our meals interesting is very important and more so if you are anosmic. Asnomics obviously don’t get the amazing aroma coming from a great meal, so for me it’s almost imperative to keep the meals as visually good as I can (at least I do try)
Turning a basic omelette or wrap into a magnificent healthy spring breakfast by topping it off with loads of strawberries, berries and garnish with rocket. The cheese on the inside tastes amazing! Seriously.
Suggestions On Cooking The Omelette
Most important is to never overcook an omelette. It is better to allow the omelette to finish cooking off the heat.
As we are in winter the coconut oil used is more like butter in form than it is liquid. If it were liquid I would use butter instead.
Have everything ready because omelettes cook very quickly.
You create less air when you use a fork to whisk.
Using raw sliced mushrooms helps to prevent any extra oil being used by not frying them.
As long as you cook the omelette on LOW and add the mushrooms and white cheddar early on it will cook perfectly.
This recipe can also be made on a wrap using your own creativity for toppings
Healthy Spring Breakfast
A simple omelette or wrap turned into an appetizing visually tempting spring breakfast filled with berries and rocket.
- 3 eggs
- Dash of milk
- Sprinkle of salt, pepper and crushed dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 partially de-seeded fresh chili
- 3 button mushrooms finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of Swedish feta cheese (or normal feta)
- 1 tablespoon grated white cheddar cheese
- Step 1 Heat a non stick frying pan
- Step 2 Add the coconut oil
- Step 3 Meanwhile, beat the eggs and add the dash of milk and sprinkle of salt, freshly ground pepper and crushed dried chili flakes
- Step 4 Once the pan and oil is hot, gently pour in the egg mixture and immediately lower the heat
- Step 5 Tilt the pan so that the egg mixture flows all round the pan covering the edges as well
- Step 6 Add the mushrooms, freshly chopped chili & grated white cheddar cheese
- Step 7 After a minute remove the pan from the heat and let it stand for 30 seconds. The omelette will complete cooking in the heat of the pan
- Step 8 Use an egg lifter and gently slide it around the omelette to loosen it from the sides of the pan
- Step 9 Now slide it onto a plate and let it cool down
- Step 10 Garnish with crumbled cheese, strawberries, berries and rocket.