I made this incredible beef veggie pan pie recipe on one of our last rainy days last week and have been waiting for a free moment to post and share it with you! So I’m so excited that I now get to do that.
Let me start off by saying that if you think that I was sweating for hours to make this scrumptious pan of soul food then wait to be surprised. The best part of this beef veggie pan pie recipe is that it never fails to impress anyone, every single time. It’ that good!
No idea what title to give this hearty and soulful pie having made it since my now adult children were just little. All I would say is “dinner’s ready” and when they would ask “Whats For Dinner?” I would respond with “Oh just some pie” So here we are with a new found name:
Beef Veggie Pan Pie Recipe
and I love it!
The name of this pie says it all – Beef Veggie Pan Pie Recipe -Cook the meat in a pan, add some veggies, cover the pan with pastry and bake for a little while. All done. That’ how simple it is and the taste is one of those absolutely perfect home style cooked food recipes that is very comforting.
Some Notes on this Recipe:
- This recipe calls for coconut oil but vegetable oil does the trick too
- The butter is best added while browning the meat otherwise if added earlier on I find that it burns up too quickly
- When you lower the heat it would be best to not make it too low. We don’t want the meat on rapid boil but we also don’t want it on very low so medium so that it cooks without burning
- If you have all your ingredients ready it’s pretty quick from there besides all the ingredients are pantry staples so you probably have them on hand
- Store bought puff pastry has been used in this recipe but you are welcome to make your own pastry. There are just so many wonderful brands and pastry textures out there so when you don’t have time to make your own, go for it.
Beef Veggie Pan Pie Recipe
If you think that I was sweating for hours to make this scrumptious pan of soul food then wait to be surprised and the best part of this beef veggie pan pie recipe is that it never fails to impress anyone, every single time. It' that good!
- Tablespoon coconut oil
- Medium sized onion
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic finely diced
- 600 grams beef
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder or paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Tablespoon butter
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- can butter beans (liquid drained)
- roll of puff pastry defrosted
- 1 beaten egg
- Step 1 Heat a non-stick pan with the coconut oil
- Step 2 Fry the diced onion
- Step 3 Add garlic and cook for a few seconds
- Step 4 Cut the beef into cubes if not already cubed, rinse, pat dry and add into the onion garlic mix
- Step 5 Brown the meat on both sides and while browning add the spices and butter
- Step 6 Pour in half the stock and lower the heat slightly so the meat is not on a rapid boil
- Step 7 Allow to cook for approximately 8-10 minutes
- Step 8 Tomato paste in and add a little more stock if required
- Step 9 Peas in and cook for another 5 minutes
- Step 10 Add the butter beans and remove from the heat
- Step 11 While the meat cools down, roll out the puff pastry using a little flour to prevent it from sticking to the board or your hands
- Step 12 Heat the oven to 180 degree
- Step 13 Once the pan has cooled gently cover the puff pastry over the pan
- Step 14 Fold in the edges with your fingers or fork
- Step 15 Brush the beaten egg all over
- Step 16 Bake at 160 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown