What exactly is a saucy egg and tomato bake? I have no idea either but I’m a firm believer that you can make a meal with just about anything in your kitchen cupboards and also with just about nothing in your kitchen cupboards.
What I can tell you for sure is that this recipe is as saucy as you can get. It’s one of those dishes that you taste and just cannot stay away, you keep going back for more. Its spicy, tomatoey (yes I know it’s not a word) Cracked eggs on top and left to bake for a few minutes turns an otherwise every day tomato sauce into a baked breakfast.
Served as breakfast, brunch and even dinner this recipe is a must try and you can be as creative as you want with the filling as long as you dont leave out the tomato and the egg because that’s the recipe.
As I mention in my welcome subscription note that I love cooking but mostly I love creating my own recipes more especially when I dont know what I am actually doing and go with the on hand ingredients and then it turns out to be such a tasty dish!
Products I Love
Some very helpful products that I have collected and continue to collect. While we can cook great food in just about any pot or pan, let us not underestimate what the right pan can do for your food. Its pretty much like better choice ingredients if and when we can.
Tips on The Saucy Egg and Tomato Bake
- Don’t leave out the spices especially the smoked paprika they are game-changers in this recipe
- This recipe is easy and non complicated so keeping your additional ingredients should be kept simple
- Any pan will do but the skillet works best because it retains the juice beautifully, is versatile so there’s no transferring the food into an oven dish and its get really hot but maintains the heat.
- And that’s pretty much it!
A Saucy Egg and Tomato Bake
You can make anything taste great!
- 3 fresh chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot chili powder about 1/4 teaspoon
- Smoked paprika a heaped teaspoon
- 1/4 cup water (after you add the tomato add a dash of water in the can, give it a swirl and use it)
- 2 eggs
- Extra olive oil for drizzling
- Step 1 Heat a skillet until hot
- Step 2 Olive oil in the skillet till hot
- Step 3 Add the garlic and cook it for a few seconds
- Step 4 Pour in the tomato sauce and using a masher gently mash the whole peeled canned tomatoes slightly
- Step 5 If the stove is too hot lower it a bit
- Step 6 Stir in the dried herbs, salt, hot chili dried powder and smoked paprika
- Step 7 Heat the oven to 180/220 degrees
- Step 8 Add the tomato paste, stir everything gently until it is all beautifully mixed (you can do this with the heat off)
- Step 9 Gently crack open eggs on top
- Step 10 Season with more oregano
- Step 11 Drizzle with olive oil
- Step 12 Bake for 10 minutes or less depending on how you like your eggs.