As promised this quick and easy tofu recipe delivers it all. A sticky, sweet, slightly sour and very delicious flavor. In this post I share the 3 different ways that will suit 3 different types of people. I know, I have been busy for a long time with tofu because it’s just so good and so versatile.
It’s Not Complicated!
Every time I talk to friends of mine about Tofu I hear ‘it’s too complicated’ What? It’s easier than making a curry, quicker than a roast and so much more healthier! I honestly think that once you eliminate the mindset of ‘tofu is complicated‘ it becomes like any of your favorite recipes. It’s more like the dish that you keep going back and forth for another helping and before you know it, you hooked on TOFU!
This has undoubtedly become a very popular dish in our Anosmic Kitchen along with my other tofu recipes.
Safe to say I LOVE all Asian and Indian Cuisine. There is just something about the combination of all the ingredients that ignites something inside of me. It heightens the taste buds and makes everything come alive. Oh, I better stop because this is enough for both of us to get hungry. Which of-course is okay because we have this incredible quick and easy tofu recipe to make for lunch, or dinner.
If you can find some firm tofu, buy it!
Seriously It doesn’t cost much and can be found in any and all Asian stores/markets. If you know that you are making it all you have to do is drain it and get on with your day or with your recipe prep. When the tofu is drained the recipe is 1, 2, 3 and its done. For a more detailed explanation on draining the tofu you can see this recipe here.
Some Suggestions That May Help You
- Use a colander or large strainer to put the tofu in and shake through the Maizena making sure that they are properly coated. The Maizena helps to give the Tofu that nice crunchy taste when fried.
- If you find the oil is not enough for frying then add a bit more. You can also combine half vegetable oil and half coconut oil which is what I do.
- Once the “sauce ingredients” are in a separate bowl and mixed together, taste to see if you want to add anything. To make it any thinner simply add a spoon of iced water into the sauce. Don’t add too much, rather go a teaspoon a time because you don’t want it to watery. Personally I prefer the sauce as is.
- If you are one of those people that want to plan ahead then it works out even better and quicker, here’s how;
Delicious Tofu No Matter Which Way You Choose
- Drain the tofu and cut into blocks and place in a zip lock bag in the fridge to be used the next day or later that day.
- Mix your ‘sauce ingredients’ (which what I always try and do) and leave it the fridge until you ready to use it later that day or the next day. It kinda marinades in the fridge into a nice almost paste like sauce. You know what I mean 🙂
The Fly By The Seat of your Pants Kind of Person
So this is also mostly me apparently.
Buy the tofu the firmer the better and drain for 10 minutes in some kitchen towel. While it’s draining, get your ‘sauce’ ingredients together. Heat a non stick pan, toss everything inside on high for a minute or 2, a drop of olive oil and “Bobs your uncle !”
A More Healthier Approach Kind of Person?
No problem –
- Drain the tofu, place it on a non stick oven tray, drizzle some olive oil and grill, turning both sides till brown.
- Once done, use as per recipe or add into a salad or into a wrap!
Need More Easy Recipes?
Get A Free Download of 27 Fabulous Recipes by subscribing! Also free, Right? 😊
Quick & Easy Tofu Recipe
The perfect sweet, slightly sour, sticky and very delicious Tofu Recipe. Easy and quick as a go to meal or snack.
- 2 Blocks of Tofu (Firm and Drained)
- 1 Cup of Maizena
- 3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil (for frying) or half half vegetable and coconut oil
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce (Low Sodium)
- Fish Sauce 3 Tablespoons
- 80 ml Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup Hoisen Sauce
- Sriracha Sauce 2 Tablespoons
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- Rice Vinegar 2 Tablespoons
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestire sauce or
- Step 1 Get all your “sauce ingredients” together in a bowl, mix thoroughly set aside
- Step 2 Heat a fairly large non stick pan and add your oil to heat
- Step 3 Cut the tofu into square blocks and cover with Maizena
- Step 4 Fry on both sides till golden brown and let the tofu sit on some kitchen towel paper to get any excess oil out
- Step 5 Get rid of any left over excess oil in the pan and pour in the sesame seeds to roast for about 30 seconds (this can be done with the pan off the heat if it’s very hot) as long as you don’t turn off the heat!
- Step 6 Meanwhile add fried tofu pieces into the “sauce” give it a mix and add it into the same pan with the sesame seeds
- Step 7 On high, swirl it all together for a minute or less and its ready.
Till next time, take care of you and happy cooking!