One pan easy vegetable bake that comes together in just a couple of minutes. As promised, no fuss no frill recipes. Prepare your vegetables and bake and you have a delicious vegetable bake.
Its no surprise that I love eggplants or brinjals (whichever word you prefer because eggplants and brinjals are the same thing). I know my mother in law always referred to them as melenzane whereas I would call them eggplants. No one complained. I watched her cook and I learned so much!
Slice the eggplants and with a generous sprinkle of salt (to remove water and especially the bitter taste), let them rest for about 30 min to get the water out.
In the post The Best Eggplant & Spicy Tofu Recipe and How to Property Drain Brinjals I give a much more detailed explanation on the whole eggplant draining process.
After 30 minutes (or even longer if you wish) rinse them and pat dry and heat a pan to grill them on both sides then set aside and slice your other veggies.
Add the rest of the vegetables, make your sauce pour over the veggies, add the canned tomato and bake for 15 min.
Remove from the oven, add cheese and grill for 5 minutes. Done. In this recipe white cheddar is used but feel free to use your preferred cheese.
Making layers in this recipe is the same as when you are making a lasagna recipe.
Options because we have them 🙂
For cheese lovers, add a layer of cheese between the eggplant slices and vegetables.
Add a layer of meat in between, for meat lovers – chicken, bacon or both!
For more veggie lovers, substitute the peppers for zucchini (I know even veggie lovers don’t always like peppers) but if that’s not the problem use both. It might be better to also the zucchini.
This recipes used both milk and coconut milk for the white sauce. You may need less amounts so add slowly as you go until you get the required consistency.
ONE PAN EASY VEGETABLE BAKE
- 2 eggplants
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 peppers (any color)
- 1 onion (any color)
- 1 tbsp salt (for sprinkling)
- 1 can tomoto
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Pinch salt & pepper for seasoning
- Pinch dried basil and Oregano for seasoning
- cheese for grilling
- Slice & salt the eggplant. Leave to drain for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile slice all the peppers and onions.
- Prepare an oven tray by spreading some of the tomato (from the canned tomato) on the bottom of the tray. No need for spray & cook or any oil.
- Rinse the salt off of the eggplant and pat dry. Heat a grilling pan and while it heats up, rub a good amount of vegetable oil on either side of the eggplants before laying them on the hot pan to grill on both sides. Use enough oil to prevent the eggplant from burning.
- Place your grilled eggplants into the oven tray on top of the red sauce that you put in earlier from the can. Continue layering all the veggies & canned tomato into the pan.
- WHITE SAUCEHeat a saucepan and add the butter to meltAdd some of the flour and mix using a whisk before adding some milkKeep adding flour & milk and whisk continuously to prevent the white sauce from lumping. As you whisk remove from the heat for a second, whisk and back on the stove until you have a smooth white sauce. For a creamier taste add less milk and use the coconut milk instead. Its optional of-course but very delicious. Pour the sauce over the veggies and bake for 10-minutes
- Remove from the oven, add grated cheese or Parmesan and return to grill till brown.
Things to Remember When Making White Sauce
- When making a white sauce, make sure the stove not on high
- You must work quickly to prevent any lumps from forming
- Start with the butter in the pan and rather add the flour and milk in sections not all at the same time
- Add a little flour into the melted butter, remove the pan from the heat and mix it together. It will will a lumpy mix (its okay!)
- Add a little more milk, return the pan to the heat, whisk vigorously and once you see it start to thicken, remove from the heat again
- Its an 'on the heat off the heat process' until you have combined all the milk and flour but its the only way you are guaranteed to get a smooth consistency.