This is an all round home-made healthy crunchy buckwheat kale and chicken recipe. Serve as a snack, side dish for dinner or keep cold as a salad and drizzle some olive oil & balsamic.
Roasted buckwheat, fresh kidney beans soaked the night before or you can use canned beans (drain the liquid). Add some carrots, chicken cubes, kale, mushrooms, sweet potato bites, spices and herbs. I did say healthy and I wasn’t joking either. Omit the mushrooms if you don’t like mushrooms.
Add a drop of coconut milk into the mushroom chicken and herbs mix instead of water or use half and half or leave the water out entirely and cook the chicken with coconut milk. It makes all the difference!
My recipes are all homemade so the ingredients are based on what’s available now in my kitchen, what’s in season for the obvious benefits; fresher and more affordable. 100% it is more about what’s available right now; something that doesn’t require me to get in the car to drive anywhere!
I’ve shared a really lovely post (yes I said it) about why it’s important to cook with love in this How to Cook Buckwheat With Love Post.
Sweet potato bites are simply sweet potatoes cut into squares, strips or wedges and grilled. Add the grilled chicken pieces, spices, herbs and buckwheat to the potato bites and you have a salad OR…… you have a wrap for lunch!
Keep some cooked buckwheat in the fridge and you can use it for just about anything. Like a quick lunches, snacks and these buckwheat wraps.
I agree that this image is not going to get me any points but I will tell you it’s a very tasty wrap!
Crunchy Buckwheat Kale and Chicken Recipe.
- 4 chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 cup fresh cooked beans (or canned)
- 1 cup roasted buckwheat
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 2 cups kale
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 tsp crushed chili
- 1 tsp salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grilled sweet potato
- 80ml coconut milk
- Heat a skillet or non stick pan and add the oil. Add the onions & garlic and let them cook till glossy not brown.
- Add the carrots, cook for 5 min then add the cubed pieces of chicken. Lower the heat to medium, add half of the water and continue to cook for about another 5 min.
- Add the mushrooms, kale and beans. If you need more water add the next 1/2 depending on how you want it.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, seasonings, spices and once done remove from the heat, let it cool and toss together with the cooked buckwheat.