Although brinjals are used everywhere in the world this southern Italian pasta dish takes the brinjal to a whole new level of happiness😊
A perfect Sunday lunch or to serve to a large group. This recipe makes more than enough for 2-4 people so just double up on the ingredients if you must.
BRINJALS EGGPLANTS OR MELANZANE?
Yes this beautiful vegetable goes by all 3 names as far as I know there might be more.
For now according to Wikipedia eggplant is what you would call it in the US brinjal is what it is called here in SA and melanzane I know is what they call it in Italy for sure because I have very clear memories of my mother in law cooking it and aubergine is how you would reference it if you are in the UK.
Eggplant doesn’t cost much at all and best of all they are actually in season right now (at least our side of the world they are). Around February they will be at their best and I can’t wait because we love eggplant.
What Type of Pasta to Use?
Any type of spaghetti can be used there are so many on the market but also take into consideration that the better quality ones do cook and taste better (without sticking).
A funny memory just crossed my mind of myself about 20 years ago throwing a strand or 2 of spaghetti against the wall 😂 For what it was worth, it actually did help me determine if it was ready or not. If it sticks it’s ready if it falls its not!
A few years down the line I eventually got to a point where I was able to simply look at it and tell if it was ready. It happens when you cook something 100’s of times.
Using The Flour and Frying
There is very little flour called for in this recipe because you only need to sprinkle a bit over the slices. It’s best not to use a lot otherwise it just burns in the oil.
Using less flour also helps minimize perhaps you having to change the oil so just a sprinkle.
How Long Should You Fry The Thinly Sliced Eggplant?
That would depend on how thick or thin you cut them. I have sliced them extremely thin so they fried in a few seconds and it goes quick so watch them! To get a thin even slice use a sharp knife or cutter.
Other Eggplant Recipes That You Should Take a Look At
Southern Italian Pasta Recipe
Southern Italian Pasta Recipe.
- 2 eggplants
- 250 grams (4 people) pasta
- chicken fillets x 2 (300 grams)
- 2 to 3 tbsp flour
- Oil for frying
- Cherry tomatoes
- a cup of spinach
- Step 1 Thinly slice the eggplants with the peel on
- Step 2 Sprinkle flour over them shaking any access flour before frying
- Step 3 Heat the oil in a pan and fry till golden brown either side (a few seconds)
- Step 4 Rest the eggplants on kitchen tissue paper to drain any oil
- Step 5 Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips and fry till golden brown. Set aside
- Step 6 Bring the pasta to a boil in some water (as per packet instructions) and cook until al dente
- Step 7 Once cooked, drain (retain a little water aside)
- Step 8 Pour the hot pasta into a frying pan, add the baby spinach and tomato and mix. Spinach will wilt from the heat (add the retained water if required to avoid burning but not much or none should be required)
- Step 9 Once the spinach has wilted toss in the rest of the ingredients and serve.