Saucy meatballs in tomato sauce with loads of flavor and no breadcrumbs! This was a matter of going back to basics for me. There are literally no frills to this recipe. If you have an open fire you can make these meatballs. All you need is garlic, mince meat, tomatoes, spices and oil.
Use a masher to gently break the canned tomatoes before cooking if the pieces are large.
Cover the garlic heads in some foil because it gives them an even soft cook and you dont have to peel them before roasting.
Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Paleo Whole 30 Homemade Meatballs in Italian Tomato Sauce. Protein, Veg and Spices. Dairy & Carb Free
- Beef Mince to serve 4 people (about 500 grams)
- 2 cans chopped peeled tomato
- Bunch of fresh cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt, pepper, chili flakes, oregano, thyme
- Garlic heads 2
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Combine 1 tbsp of hot chili spice & a tsp of oil
- Step 1 Heat the oven to 190 degrees
- Step 2 Add the meat in a separate bowl with the egg and all the spices. Using your hands make reasonably sized meatballs
- Step 3 Brush the oil & chili mix over the meatballs and bake for 10 minutes
- Step 4 Meanwhile heat a skillet on the stove-top, cook the canned tomatoes with the spices on medium heat
- Step 5 Lay the garlic heads in the tomato sauce, add a drop of water let it simmer
- Step 6 Remove the meatballs from the oven and carefully place them into the skillet
- Step 7 Add the cherry tomoatoes into the skillet and simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until your sauce has thickened
- Step 8 If the sauce is dry add a dash of water/red wine
- Step 9 Finish off with fresh basil