The easiest recipes are always the best! This pasta and garlic in a basil sauce can be done in 15 minutes and is a restaurant quality serving.
Please Read These Tips and Suggestions
This recipe is for one serving so please add accordingly. The average serving for pasta is 100 grams for 1 person.
Fresh chili can be de-seeded for less heat or leave it out if you don’t like chili. Not everyone can eat or likes chili a) because you may be cooking for little ones or your health doesn’t allow. There is so much flavor from the garlic, cheese and basil sauce it will still taste amazing!
This recipe calls for 1/4 cup olive oil. Please leave some behind for drizzling over the spaghetti once the dish is ready. It may sound like a lot but because there is no sauce as in a red sauce or cream it needs the oil. Using 1/2 of the 1/4 cup should also be fine if you are concerned then you will have some left over.
Pecorino Romano was used in this recipe. I am not sure about the rest of the world but Italian cheese is expensive in South Africa so use a little grated in the pasta and then drizzle some over the finished plate. If used sparingly it lasts a long time. (that’s if you don’t eat a piece while drinking wine like me!)
I used 6 slices of medium sized garlic. Drop the garlic into the oil in a cold pan and bring it all to heat at the same time don’t heat the oil then add the garlic. Once heated lower the stove and lower again because we don’ want to burn the garlic but we do want to slowly bring out the flavor and when its just about to turn brown take it off the heat. Add your chili and spaghetti.
It takes 2 minutes in the blender (or food processor)
Rinse the basil leaves and dunk in a bowl/cup of boiling water.
Get some ice out in a separate bowl
After a minute take the basil from the boiling water into the ice ‘bucket’ (add a drop of cold water)
Once cooled (another minute) wrap the leaves in a clean dish towel and squeeze out the water.
In a blender/food processor add oil and salt and blitz into a puree.
In this recipe this process was used but I left the basil in bits rather than a puree (optional)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE E-COOKBOOK
25 FABULOUS COLORFUL RECIPES!
Pasta and Garlic in a Basil Sauce
- 120 grams spaghetti (1 person)
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 fresh chili
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsps pecorino romano cheese grated
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add salt and cook the spaghetti according to pkt instructions (about 10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Slice the chili (de-seed) if preferred. Slice the garlic.
- Rinse the basil leaves and then blanch them in boiling water for a minute. Remove and place them in an ice bath to cool down. Squeeze the water out using a clean kitchen cloth.
- Add the basil leaves into a blender or food processor with some olive oil and salt and puree.
- Add the oil into a non stick frying pan with the sliced garlic and bring to the heat. Once hot add the sliced chili and cooked spaghetti. Mix well and finally add the basil puree and cheese.
- Serve with more cheese on top and fresh basil.