Taking this beautiful color and shaped eggplant into a delicious roasted balsamic eggplant dish. I am very excited about sharing this recipe with you all. Granted it didn’t come out as gorgeous in appearance as my cooking inspiration Jamie Oliver’s recipe but it does have its own amazing taste!
The combination of these ingredients is witness to the fact that I am anosmic and in particular congenital anosmia. Hence the name Anosmic Kitchen because it really is all about taste and texture for me. Probably for other anosmics too although I think that everyone’s experience is different.
Roasted Balsamic Eggplant!
Free Recipe E-Books!
Recipe Suggestions and Tips
For the “sauce” ingredients I’ve used hoisen sauce which can be substituted with a low sodium soy sauce. If you don’t have either you can also try using Worcestershire sauce or HP sauce? Not sure but could try next time I make it!
You can also roast your raw nuts before adding them to the dish if you prefer.
Drizzle some of the balsamic over just before roasting.
Roasted Balsamic Eggplant Recipe
- 1 eggplants
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 fresh chili sliced
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup raw nuts
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisen sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- pinch of cumin spice
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onions, garlic and chili for 2 minutes. Add the 'sauce' and turn off the heat.
- Rinse the eggplant and chop off the head (green part) and discard. Using a knife cut triangles into the flesh for the sauce to get inside. (see pic)
- Slice lengthwise in half and place face down in a saucepan with a cup of water and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Place the partially cooked eggplant into an oven tray with the flesh side up and sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper onto them.
- Pour the sauce and add the nuts over the eggplants and bake for 5 minutes and grill for 2 to 3 minutes.
FOR YOU TO PIN