A thick and tasty chicken and bean chili that is full of flavor especially now that we are approaching much colder and rainier days. Bean and lentils are some of the staples you don’t want to be without the next couple of months and as always vegetables that you can turn into warm delicious soups.
This recipe calls for fresh red or black beans which are soaked overnight in preparation for the following day. Below is the before and after pictures of these beautiful fresh red beans. Red the night before and a slight reddish brown the next day.
If you prefer using canned beans to speed up the process or you may not have the time to soak because you want to make this amazing chili right now then by all means use canned beans there are some very good and convenient ones.
I always indulge in cooking a pot of stew, curry, chili or soup for my family as soon as the months get colder because very little compares than a comforting bowl of warm deliciousness. If I hear any sniffles its straight onto the flavorsome and powerful homemade minestrone which, absolutely is its very own form of soulful medication!
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
The recipe ingredients are long BUT they are all staples which you probably already have. I have written the recipe out in the same order that you will be using the ingredients. So you will cook the chicken first the recipe ingredients will have the chicken and whichever spices go in with it. The same with all the ingredients so its very easy to follow.
Free Recipe E-Books!
It’s best to brown the chicken first and set is aside to bring back towards the end because the beans need to cook longer.
Add in the ballistic vinegar (if using) the last few minutes of cooking so as not to lose that tinge of flavor that it adds.
Chicken Bean Chili
If your make my recipes please don’t forget to show me the pictures so that I can share them on my Instagram!
CHICKEN AND BEAN CHILI THICK AND TASTY
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tbsps chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander spice
- 1 tsp cumin spice
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 2 small fresh chili's or 1 large (chopped)
- 1 100 grams tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup beans
- 1 can tomato
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the cubed chicken pieces, 1 tsp of chili spice, cumin and coriander spice and cook brown the chicken about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and set aside for later.
- In the same pot and now over medium heat add the onions, garlic, sliced fresh chili and saute with the tomato paste and 1 cup of water for about 2 minutes.
- Toss the beans in, canned tomatoes, rest of the stock/water, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, basil and balsamic vinegar. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Return the chicken and add the balsamic vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning while continuing to cook for another 5 to 10 minutes or until done.
- Serve with fresh bread, a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.