Loads of iron, protein, fibre and vitamins in this frittata casserole and did I say it tastes amazing? Well it certainly does especially for brunch today. That late morning breakfast early lunch is the best, whoever came up with the whole brunch idea, I love you!
No idea what to call this recipe because it was one of those walk into the kitchen and not know what you are making days which resulted in this tasty filling soul food! Probably not exactly a frittata nor a casserole so went with both.
One Pot Skillet Vegetarian Casserole
The best part is that when using an oven friendly pan you really are just using one pan. Once the cannellini beans sauce is ready you add the rest of the ingredients and bake. That easy. The ingredient list looks long but its basic and again, work with what you have and substitute what you don’t have.
As a die hard skillet cook (because these babies retain the heat like nothing else) here are some skillet recipes that I know you will love!
The Best Spinach and Bacon Omelette Ever
Chicken and Bean Chili
Honey Glazed Tomato and Carrot Skillet Roast
Mince Meat and Tomato Sauce in Red Wine
Paleo Whole30 Meat Balls in Tomato Sauce
Free Recipe E-Books!
Suggestions and Tips for this Recipe
Making the beans and tomato sauce in advance always makes it go quicker so cook it the day before and refrigerate till needed the next day.
Cook on low medium to low heat.
Add a drop of water and continue cooking for a few minutes if you find the beans are not yet to you liking. They should be tender not over cooked because they still go into the oven from the stove-top.
Vegetarian Frittata Casserole
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup fresh cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tsp coriander spice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dry basil spice
- 1 tsp dried chili spice
- salt to taste
- pepper to to taste
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs (beaten) dash of salt & pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1/2 cup cheese
- Heat a skillet/non stick pan and add the oil to heat up. Add the onions and garlic and cook till translucent (slightly glossy)
- Cumin and turmeric spice in. Canned tomatoes in and 1 cup of water. Stir and let it cook on medium to low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, salt, pepper, basil and chili spice. Pour in the rest of the water slowly allowing the food to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the water and keep stirring. Once it reaches a nice thick sauce turn the heat off and set it aside.
- Once the bean sauce has steamed down, 2 minutes, add the halved cherry tomatoes, spinach, eggs, cream and grated cheese.
- Return to the oven to bake for 15 minutes and grill for 5 min to get the golden brown on top.