Whether served midweek or weekend pasta always serves as a favorite meal at the table. This seafood pasta is a simple and quick recipe with unbelievable flavor.
Pasta is the staple in many households and it is isn’t in your home then why not? There are so many delicious pasta recipes that you can make. As with most Italian recipes it always starts with a tomato base so it should be a tasty tomato to offset the rest of the dish. The tomato sauce must carry anything else that you are going to serve it with. In this case, pasta and seafood.
Seafood is already a powerful food on its own and when combined as in this recipe with tomatoes cooked in wine it lets off such wonderful flavors.
What pasta type?
Made here with tagliatelle pasta however any type of pasta works. As pasta lovers we use all types of pasta but for this particular recipe the tagliatelle seems to work best.
Which tomato is best?
You can roast your tomatoes before using them in a puree for the sauce or you can buy the puree and then again there are so many good brands out there so go with your personal choice.
For this recipe we used canned chopped tomatoes. Once cooked in a red wine sauce with the rest of the ingredients it is for us the best tomato sauce recipe! And once you have the sauce you can mix it up with anything from beef mince to sausage or meatballs in tomato sauce (paleo whole30) for meat options.
Frozen mussels and cleaned de-veined prawns were used in this seafood pasta recipe. Cooked for 2 to 3 minutes in garlic and a splash of fresh lime rather than white wine because we had a red wine tomato sauce base. Best to not mix those wines even in cooking!
Free Recipe E-Books!
Pasta Recipes That You Will Love
This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
SEAFOOD PASTA IN TOMATO SAUCE
- 400 grams pasta
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup passata
- 6 cloves garlic (2 for seafood & 4 for tomato sauce)
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 onion
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp sweet basil (dried)
- 1 tbsp dried chili flakes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 250 grams mussels
- 400 grams prawns (cleaned & de-veined)
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1/2 fresh lime juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- fresh Parmesan for serving
- fresh basil leaves
- Cook the pasta in salted water according the packet instructions. Pasta generally cooks for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the butter & oil and fry the prawns till golden brown on either side which is about 2 min per side. Set them aside in a separate dish. Same pan heat 2 tablespoons oil and cook 2 chopped garlic with the mussels for about 5 minutes. Pour the prawns back in, squeeze of fresh lime and remove from the heat.
- Cooking The Sauce. Heat the vegetable oil and cook the remaining 4 garlic cloves & onion for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the canned chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Cook on lower heat to simmer for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Halfway through, add the wine, passata, dried basil, chili flakes and and continue simmering.
- Once the pasta is done, drain and pour into the tomato sauce and now lower the heat even further.
- Return the cooked mussles and prawns and gently fold into the sauce. Add the cherry tomatoes and remove from the heat. Garnish and serve with parmesan and fresh basil.