Loving my crunchy vegetable toast as a breakfast treat and what a good change from the regular oats, eggs or peanut butter toast servings! I am not sure about you but breakfast is a given with us in our home. Even though it has not always been this way but like most things we seem to have grown into it.
We have not always been the best breakfast people. I for one am still more of a brunch person than a breakfast soul. My husband on the other hand seems to wake up and look forward to breakfast. More of a fried egg and bacon or omelette type of person vegetables on toast is not popular with him at all but that’s okay because I am here to enjoy it for both of us! I always make two slices when I do make a veggie toast bake, I may as well since the oven is already on. One for breakfast and one for lunch or late snack, that how I eat it.
CRUNCHY VEGETABLE TOAST
This toast tastes wonderful, actually no, it tastes AMAZING! If you can eat it the minute it comes out the oven then do that because the fresh crisp crusts with tender roasted vegetables will have you hooked.
Quick & easy bites like this are so convenient when you have bits and pieces of left over veggies in the fridge that you left there when you made that beautiful soup? Now you have half of everything looking at you each time you open the fridge? Here’s a way to use them – Veggie Toast.
Versatility of this Crunchy Vegetable Toast
- any type of bread can be used but best would be your favorite type 🙂
- mix the veggies up using any and all left over pieces
- Again, you favorite tomato sauce. Here I used Passatta (always on hand)
- mozzarella/white cheddar grated. Half at the bottom and half on top before grilling however, you can experiment with you favorite cheese, vegetables or even fruit!
Whenever I make a veggie toast bake I always savor the moment of when it comes out the oven and I can eat it warm because the vegetables are steaming, the bread is golden brown and crunchy and the cheese has melted into the veggies. It’s amazing! Every warm bite is worth savoring.
For all you meat lovers out there, the options are endless of which type of meat you can add onto this crunchy baked toast. Either way, it will taste like a hot or cold pizza that took you all of 5 minutes to make 🙂
- Starting with the tomato sauce give it a pizza like taste and feel but also you don’ want the the sauce soaking up any veggies.
- Try and add the tomato sauce onto the bread only when you ready to bake it golden brown in the oven otherwise it soaks into the bread and no one like soggy tomato bread!
- I add half of the cheese over the sauce and the remaining half over the vegetables but you can do it the other way round by adding it all over the veggies at the end.
- Should you add more cheese? Well you can but this is a veggie toast brunch not a cheese & bread brunch?
- You can also add salt & pepper as you go along with the layers. In this recipe I added a tiny sprinkle of Himalayan salt & dried crushed chili over the tomato sauce (passata).
If you try this Crunchy Vegetable Toast, please leave a comment below letting me know how it goes. Also, if you take any pictures of your creation and share it on Instagram, please make sure to tag me @anosmickitchen and use the hashtag #anosmickitchen so that I don’t miss your post. Enjoy!
Crunchy Vegetable Toast
- 2 slices bread
- 3 tbsps tomato sauce (passata)
- 1/4 -1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 red onion ( regular/roughly sliced)
- 1/2 red pepper (regular/roughly sliced)
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees and line a baking tray with some baking/parchment paper.
- Spread the tomato paste onto the bread followed by the half of the grated cheese.
- Neatly stack all the veggies over the tomato paste and cheese. Season with salt & pepper.
- Use the remaining grated cheese to top off, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the toast is a baked golden brown.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN ALSO FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE IMAGES BELOW!