When you know how to make basil pesto you are the Queen of your kitchen, without kidding. This must be among the most simple recipes because if truth be told you can pesto any greens you have – baby spinach, coriander, parsley, rocket and yes basil pesto. Making pesto is simple.
Additional ingredients will be some type of nuts, seeds, garlic and oil. In this recipe I use pine nuts because this is a classic basil pesto recipe but I have made pesto with all of the above and it remains delicious.
HOW TO MAKE PESTO
Another day another pesto dip and this 5 ingredient classic pesto recipe needs no introduction.
April 2017 I made and posted a simple pesto recipe and soon after that I posted another one and I think I realized very quickly that even though I loved pesto didn’t mean that everyone else wanted to see it all the time 🙂 However, this is a classic, how do I know? I’ve made it a zillion times 🙂
It takes these 5 ingredients:
- Fresh basil
- Pine nuts
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
I am not sure how much fresh basil leaves cost in other countries but I do know that this side of the world they are not the most affordable therefore the majority of people cannot really afford to splurge on 3 tiny boxes of basil leaves. However if you find yourself buying it more than often then it might be time to make your own 🙂 Here’s the thing, once you’ve made it the first time, you feel like a goddess and more importantly it’s fresh and healthy! The more you experiment the easier it becomes just take a look at my earlier posts on pesto?!
- chili flakes
- fresh pepper
- lemon juice
HOW TO MAKE A CLASSIC BASIL PESTO SAUCE
In a blender or in a food processor but if you don’t have neither then you can make it in a good old pestle and mortar which I love! An old recipe that I posted simple basil pesto the pestle and mortar is exactly what I used. We all have our favorite kitchen appliances that we love and cannot live without and this is one of mine. No excuses, anyone can make pesto!
RECIPES WITH PESTO
If you try this Classic Pesto Recipe please leave a comment below letting me know how it goes. Also, if you take any pictures of your creation and share it on Instagram, please make sure to tag me @anosmickitchen and use the hashtag #anosmickitchen so that I don’t miss your post. Enjoy!
How To Make A Classic Basil Pesto
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup cheese (Parmigiana Reggino / Parmesan)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor (or blender) add the pine nuts, basil leaves, garlic cloves, and cheese. Process the ingredients till finely chopped.
- Pour the olive oil in slowly through the nozzle while the food processor is running on low speed and drizzle the oil in. Keep stopping to scrape the sides and keep processing until a smooth paste forms or until you get the paste you prefer.
- Season with salt and pepper (if using) and transfer the pesto to an airtight container to store. Be sure to cover the pesto with enough oil before sealing this acts as a preservative sealing out the air.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN ALSO FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE IMAGES BELOW!