This is an amazingly good cannelloni in a beef mince and tomato sauce loaded with mozzarella and baked to perfection! Added the spinach and fresh cream just before filling the tubes which took the whole thing up a notch or two….or three if I must say so myself 🙂
Cannelloni is an Italian tubed shaped pasta that you fill typically with ricotta cheese and spinach or with meat and a traditional Italian red sauce.
This recipe brings back so many memories. Memories of my mother in law cooking which was religiously, daily, a different type of freshly prepared pasta that we would all eagerly surround the table for. Naturally her meals were prepared with such dedication and when she touched the pasta her hands moved effortlessly. I smile as I say this because at the time I had no idea what an influence those moments would be in my life :)))
CANNELLONI W/BEEF MINCE AND TOMATO SAUCE
Having made the ricotta cheese and spinach 100 times or more there’s always excitement in the air when I’m making this beef mince and sauce version! It’s our absolute favorite and definitely one of my signature dishes.
FILLING THE CANNELLONI TUBES
So much easier than you think! As long as you have the sauce or filling ingredients in front of you and the cannelloni tubes it goes very quick if you’re in a hurry otherwise, enjoy the process 🙂 Hold one tube at a time and using a spoon fill each one and layer them in a fairly large oven dish. I find that a glass oven dish or as I know them – pyrex dishes work best for this recipe.
If you have been following me on Instagram you will know that we love pasta, who doesn’t right? It’s the perfect mid week meal with a million versions of how to make it, seriously. Here are some pasta recipes that I know you will love
- saucy meatballs in a creamy pasta sauce
- seafood pasta in tomato sauce
- pasta olives and sundried tomatoes
- pasta and garlic in a basil sauce
- Southern Italian Pasta Recipe
- 15 Minute Meals – Pasta Pesto Recipe
- Best Pasta and Avocado Recipe
HOW DOES IT TASTE?
First…..the taste…..OMG it’s so good, its ridiculously good and so tasty I am convinced that if you try it you will have no regrets simply love ❤ and your family is going to love every single fork full!
SIMPLE BEEF CANNELLONI RECIPE
- 250 grams cannelloni pasta tubes
- 1 kg beef mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 cup passata
- 2 cans chopped tomato
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp each of sweet basil and parsley
- fine sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsps tomato paste
- 250 ml cooking fresh cream
- 2 cups baby spinach (stems removed)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- Start by heating a non stick pan. Add oil and when its hot add the onions, garlic and paprika. Cook for 2 minutes and add the beef mince, cook on medium heat till brown (add a drop of water if you must to stop it from burning)
- Once the mince is nicely brown remove it and place in a bowl on the side.
- Same pan, pour in the canned tomatoes (pouring about a 1/4 each water into the cans, shake and add into the sauce).
- Cooking on medium to high heat depending on your stove, now add the passata, salt, pepper and tomato paste. Cook for 10 minutes or until the water is now a sauce.
- Before returning the mince to the pan, scoop some tomato sauce out and spread it thinly onto an oven dish. (first layer before placing the cannelloni down)
- Return the mince to the tomato sauce, a dash of fresh cream, spinach, basil and parsley. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes. The sauce should be a thick beef mince and tomato sauce if not, continue on simmer.
FILLING THE CANNELLONI TUBES
- Have the cannelloni tubes and the pan with the filling near you to make working easier. Start filling the tubes and lay them onto the 'first layered' sauce in the pan.
- Pour fresh cream over 1st layer of tubes and sprinkle some cheese over.
- Get the next row of tubes filled and lay them over the first, another layer of cream and cheese till done.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with fresh greens.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN ALSO FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE IMAGES BELOW!