This skillet breakfast is something that you will want to try and you should because the flavors are incredible! The tomato skillet with egg served with a bun sunken into the sauce with spicy nutty flavors is one of my favorite weekend meals! It needs roughly 20 minutes of your time and worth every minute.
EGG IN SAUCE
If you follow me on Instagram you know that I have confessed to not knowing that red sauce cooked with onions, peppers and egg was a “shakshouka” until very late in my life. I’ve made it time and again and once again went to Google when I started my food blog, Anosmic Kitchen. I asked ‘egg in tomato sauce‘ and yep, there it was ‘shakshouka’. I generally try different recipes in my kitchen, always have done and always will and this is no different.
EGGS IN SAUCE ON A BUN
I posted on my Instagram story last weekend a photo of the shakshouka I ordered. Admittedly I was left a little flat because it didn’t hold enough flavor for my taste. However, I was inspired to make it but with my own spin on it and here we are with My Anosmic Kitchen’s take and a rich skillet breakfast.
You do need to serve it immediately because no-one likes bread soaked in tomato sauce. Actually I take that back because I ate half first and half later and I enjoyed every bite, so there’s that. The egg and sauce is a match made in heaven for sure!
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
- You can use chopped tomato in the can or you can use roasted tomato, the roasted tomato has great flavor yes but also just as good is the canned tomato and you can make it rich and spicy. It just depends on what is convenient.
- While the tomato is cooking get another pan out and cook your eggs. In this way, by the time the tomato is ready you can place the eggs on the bun.
- I used whole wheat seeded buns ofcourse, my anosmia texture kicked in as always, but again your preferred bread.
- Add the fresh herbs in at the end when the skillet is removed from the heat. The heat from the sauce will wilt them perfectly, this was they are not soggy in the sauce.
MAKE THIS RECIPE?
I would love to hear from you and how it went? Tag me on Instagram at @anosmickitchen
SKILLET BREAKFAST – Skillet Breakfast - Egg in Red Sauce
Saucy tomato skillet with egg served with a bun sunken into the sauce with spicy nutty flavors.
- 400 grams chopped tomatoes or 3 fresh roasted tomatoes plus a few cherry tomatoes.
- 1 medium green pepper or half large pepper
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup passata
- 1/2 tsp oregano (dried or fresh)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder (curry, cayenne, paprika or any chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp cumin spice
- 1/2 cup feta
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 bread buns
- 2 tbsps oil for eggs
Heat the skillet.
Thinly butter the buns and place face down onto the pan. Takes a few seconds to brown. Set them aside.
Same pan, add the oil and cook the onion till almost translucent and add the garlic to cook for a few seconds.
Add the green pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes adding the spices.
Pour in the tomato, passata, water and sugar and simmer for 10 minutes (you want a thick sauce)
Meanwhile heat another pan and fry your eggs. Set the eggs aside and in the same pan gently roast the cherry tomatoes, Set aside.
Remove the sauce from the heat once you have the desired thickness.
Using a spoon create two circles in the sauce, place the bottom side of the bread bun down, add some of the sauce onto the bun and a sprinkle of black pepper and chili.
Add the egg, close the bun with the top half, spread more sauce over and sprinkle the feta. Serve with fresh herbs and roasted cherry tomatoes.
FREE RECIPE EBOOKS
To receive two free cookbooks join my free email list!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN ALSO FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE IMAGES BELOW!