This easy homemade pizza tastes ridiculously good, is topped with cherry tomatoes, fresh greens and basil pesto. The basic crust uses just 4 ingredients and is worth all the effort if any. Honestly, it tastes a lot better than it looks and it definitely was the classic basil pesto and the avocado dip which was dropped onto the pizza in dollops just before serving that added that extra ‘oomph’ of deliciousness.
Pizzas really don’t need to always be covered in tomato sauce and loaded in three cheeses (but they do though right? :))😊
I mean its pizza after all its meant to be meaty and cheesy! However, with me constantly trying out better choice healthier ingredients for my family we had loads of fun adding fresh greens to this crust.
Regardless even though cheesy pizza’s are amazing but it’s also good to sometimes put a twist to it with a different topping. When making this pizza no one was running to the shop for ingredients (not at all my thing) so broccoli was in the fridge which came in handy so did some baby onions and beans and of-course my classic homemade pesto which brought the pizza up a notch or two.
There are a hundred ways on how to make your pizza crust but here we have the most basic crust recipe. It takes a little time (like 20 minutes or so) if you consider that a long time to just let it rest. My recipe calls for wholewheat flour or general all purpose flour since its a basic crust. This is an old or rather staple pizza crust that we have always used so its our go to when we feel like pizza.
Having tried a cauliflower pizza crust I was always left not impressed with it falling flat to the floor or the plate in crumbs. That was until I decided to give it one last try and added my own ingredients to make the crust firm and crunchy and it came out perfect!
Best of both worlds:
- basic and easy
- an easy go to crust recipe
- fresh veggies
- family favorite
NOTES & SUGGESTIONS
- The pizza dough like many others can freeze very well so in case you don’t get to it straight away, that’s okay, just freeze it. With this dough we got a few trays out the oven but the last one we didn’t get to was left in the fridge for 2 days and still came out perfectly.
- Pesto naturally adds tons of flavor to the pizza base so instead of using the normal tomato sauce smooth over some pesto on the base.
- Always add the water into the flour slowly while mixing and if needed add extra to get a soft pliable dough.
MAKING THE PIZZA DOUGH
Making the pizza dough is a lot easier than you think so don’t let it overwhelm you especially if you not familiar with making your own pizza base.
As long as you have all your ingredients in a bowl, slowly add the water and keep mixing it until you get it into an almost sticky dough. Sprinkle a clean kitchen surface with flour and (dip a little flour onto your hands) knead the dough into a soft pliable dough, about 15 minutes (work those biceps!) Cut it into 4 or so blocks, roll each one into a ball, cover and let it rest for 20 minutes.
OPTIONAL PIZZA TOPPINGS
- Broccoli, snap peas, onion or any veggies you prefer
Green Pizza and a Basic Crust Recipe
- 500 grams whole wheat flour/general all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 5 grams dry yeast (half of the regular 10 grams pkt)
- 1/2 cup cold water (as required. See notes)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pesto (see notes)a
- Step 1 In a large bowl add the crust ingredients – flour, salt, yeast and water
- Step 2 Using your hands mix it into a pliable dough (15 to 20 minutes)
- Step 3 Leave the dough in a large enough bowl or tray for when it rises and doubles in size
- Step 4 Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel
- Step 5 Let the dough rest for minimum 20 minutes (or overnight)
- Step 6 Once the dough has risen knead it back down and place it on a lightly floured surface
- Step 7 Roll the dough out into a thin or thick base
- Step 8 Sprinkle a little flour onto an oven tray and lay the pizza dough onto the tray
- Step 9 Add your toppings starting with a spread of basil pesto
- Step 10 Cherry tomatoes, broccoli florets, snap peas, baby onions, mozzarella cheese and any additional toppings of your choice