I haven’t had anything so cheesy on this blog for a while! Buuuuut nothing wrong with a treat of cheese once in a while! You can have this Aubergine Parmigiana on the table in 20 minutes. Below is an interesting #foodstory involving some great chefs about this recipe so be sure to read it.
EGGPLANT or AUBERGINE or MELANZANE they are all the same thing – PARMIGIANA
This Aubergine Parmigiana comes with a stamp of approval from some great chefs, tastes incredible and is a wonderful fun recipe to make!
The Italian cheese making guy Claudio is where it all began when he tasted it while on his honeymoon. He must’ve mentioned it to Jamie Oliver who in turn had Claudio on his show where they discussed it and little people like me watched with love❤︎
Claudio tasted it from the great Oliver Glovig the chef behind this Aubergine Parmigiana recipe. I love it so much when you find out a little history behind a recipe don’t you?
For those of you who have been following me on Instagram from the inception of Anosmic Kitchen know how I much I love Jamie Oliver right? I love many great chefs, so many chefs but there’s something about Jamie for me that’s different. He makes the screen and food in his kitchen and mine come alive and he does everything with such simplicity. Okay so you get it 🙂
Nothing as great as the original I know but I do hope that you will like my version and don’t forget that if you do try it carry it forward and use the hashtag #anosmickitchen or at me @anosmickitchen on Instagram so that I can share your wonderful creations!
MORE EGGPLANT RECIPES?
- baby eggplant and potato recipe
- stuffed chorizo eggplant
- eggplant and spicy tofu
- peppers and eggplant chili topping
SOME MEAT FREE RECIPES
- 15 minute pasta pesto
- seafood pasta
- roasted balsamic eggplant
- honey glazed tomato and carrot
- cauliflower flat bread
- stuffed peppers (red cabbage and sour cream)
- quick and easy tofu
JAMIE OLIVER’S AUBERGINE PARMIGIANA RECIPE
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- fresh basil
- olive oil
- oil for frying the eggplants
- 400 grams organic plum tomatoes (1 regular can size)
- fresh mozzarella (galbani)
- parmigiano reggiano
- 1 cup flour (for dipping the eggplant discs)
- 2 eggs egg (coat for frying)
- Coat a skillet with very little oil and add in the garlic, basil and tomatoes. Let it cook.
- While the tomatoes are cooking rinse, and peel the eggplants reserving the peels.
- Thinly slice the eggplant leaves and set aside to fry laterSlice the eggplants into discs (about 1cm or less)
- Drop the eggplant slices into the flour and dip into the egg and fry draining them on kitchen tissue paper. Toss the eggplant sliced leaves into the oil and fry till light golden brown. Set aside on the paper to drain.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Have an oven sheet ready and start stacking the eggplants. Start with the tomato sauce followed by the 2 cheeses, a sprinkle of oregano, another slice of eggplant and repeat until you have your 3 layers.
- Finish with a sprinkle of cheese and bake for 10 to 12 minutes
- Sprinkle with leaves and enjoy!