This is an easy and quick tofu and garlic broccoli recipe that will have you making and eating it on repeat! A family favorite recipe for those who love tofu or are wanting to try something different.
This tofu is so delicious it’s finger licking good seriously though. If you are a die hard meat lover trust me when I tell you that eating this tofu, you wont miss the meat! Sunday lunch of Tofu and garlic broccoli with red onions is a far cry off from what our regular lunches used to look like.
I’m not saying we don’t do meals that have a certain amount of meat in them anymore but nothing like those meat dominated settings. It took me some time to get used to the taste of tofu when I first tasted a few years back but since I was never really big on meat it was a smooth transition. Today I can say with affirmation that I prefer tofu to meat if its on a regular basis. However, we are all meat loving individuals in this family so our pasta, roasts, steak and chicken dishes are still some of our favorite meals.
Tofu is a byproduct of soy beans and that essentially helps in maintaining
- cardiovascular health
- lowers the risk of cancer
- kidney disease
- lower cholesterol levels
- is a good source of protein
- eases menopause
With all the above in which tofu can benefit your health there is no excuse to not try this recipe right? And ofcourse if you do don’t forget to let me know by sharing your wonderful creations and using the hashtag #anosmickitchen or you can at me @anosmickitchen on Instagram so that I can share as well!
MORE TOFU RECIPES
Four quick, easy and very tasty tofu recipes that I hope you will like.
These are 4 quick, easy divine & crazy good tofu recipes that are all vegan and can be served in a variety of ways. Once prepared tofu can be eaten on it’s own or you can serve it with rice, noodles, toss into a wrap. Even a quick lunch pack, anytime snack, its really versatile, tasty and healthy.
TIPS & SUGGESTIONS
- Unless you are using an already drained firm block of tofu then it might be best to drain the tofu. Lay it on a flat surface, cover with a clean kitchen towel add another board on top and finish with something heavy like food cans. Leave it to drain for at least 10 to 30 minutes.
- Dry it one last time and then cover it some maizena or flour. When you properly drain the tofu and it’s covered in maizena it gives it a nice crunchy taste.
OVEN BAKE, FRY OR BOTH
- In my previous posts of tofu recipes both versions were used but with this one both versions were used.
- Not necessarily frying because cooking spray and a tablespoon of oil were used. This was just to give them a slightly golden color.
- Then transferring the spiced tofu to the oven to bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Just gives them that extra crunchy texture. You don’t see the golden brown color as much as you can taste the crunch which makes it all the more better!
TOFU AND GARLIC BROCCOLI LUNCH RECIPE
- 4 blocks tofu
- 1 cup maizena
- 300 grams broccoli
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- fine salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- sesame seeds
- low sodium soy
- fish sauce
- rice vinegar
- hoisen sauce
- teriyaka sauce
HOW TO PREPARE THE TOFU
- On a flat kitchen surface on a board lay the tofu blocks down, cover with kitchen towel, another board and a slightly heavy kitchen object to drain tofu (see tips & suggestions)Once the tofu is dried cut it into blocks and toss in the maizena.
- Heat a skillet, spray it with cooking spray and add a tbsp of oil. Toss the tofu blocks in the maizena over a colander/strainer and lay them into the skillet till a light golden brown turning over once. about 5 min each side. Heat the oven to 190 degrees. Season the golden tofu with salt and cayenne and lay them on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
BROCCOLI & ONION
- Same skillet, add the other tbsp of oil, allow to heat for a minute and add the garlic. Add the broccoli and toss in with the garlic. Pour in the water and cook for about 5 minutes or just until the broccoli is slightly bright green. Remove and set aside, draining any water that might still be in it. Add the sliced onion into the same skillet, swirl around in the pan just to make the onion sweat and then add it with the broccoli on the side.
- Same skillet add the sliced mushroom with about 2 tablespoons of the "sauce". Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, remove the tofu from the oven and add it into the mushroom sauce, pour in the remaining sauce and combine. Remove from the heat and serve with broccoli and red onion sides sprinkled with a little sesame seeds. Enjoy!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN ALSO FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE IMAGES BELOW!?