This Vegetarian Eggplant Slices Recipe also known as Melanzane and known to many as the Brinjal would normally have to be salted, left to remove excess water before cooking. This method is known to remove any bitter taste the eggplant may have. Most or all of my previous eggplant recipes I would go through the whole draining process. However I have since learned that because eggplants are grown under different circumstances we no longer need the whole draining process.
Furthermore it would depend a lot on where the eggplants are grown and the type of eggplant. Point in case, the eggplants used in this recipe were not salted nor drained and tasted nothing short of amazing!
Say what? I was so used to draining that I immediately though No, I cannot not drain the eggplant! Blah blah I did. In this recipe the eggplant was sliced, baked and baked again without any draining and let me say it was delicious!
VEGETARIAN EGGPLANT SLICES
The beautiful robust purple almost beet color with a shiny skin and the many shapes and sizes. Elongated, round, short and different shades of purple, I think you can tell that I love eggplants!:)
There are a so many ways to prepare this vegetable and it’s always interesting to see how various cuisines use it. Here at Anosmic Kitchen we have used eggplant in
- a stuffed chorizo eggplant recipe
- eggplant and spicy tofu
- roasted balsamic eggplant
- baby eggplant with pesto
- Jamie Oliver’s aubergine parmigiana
HOW TO MAKE THIS VEGETARIAN EGGPLANT SLICES RECIPES
Besides an eggplant, rinsed and sliced you need an oven tray to bake them in and a few of your favorite spices and some veggies.
Canned chickpeas (liquid drained) and then tossed in some spices, oil and homemade pesto (this was a first time for me but the the chickpeas ‘welcomed‘ that pesto. In a small bowl spice up the mushrooms with a drop of oil. Once you add the chickpeas into the oven tray before washing up the bow, roll the mushrooms in the same bowl and into the oven.
Have your peppers and onion diced into tiny cubes (so that they are not too big for each slice) and mix together in a small bowl. You can also drizzle a few drops of balsamic into this mix before or after topping the eggplant slices.
This recipe really couldnt be easier everyone. I used one eggplant as a side dish or you could increase for a main dish. The reason you are going to love this recipe is because it is all of this and more;
- Very easy to make!
- Minimum clean up
- Colorful recipe
- Serve warm or cold
- Full of healthy delicious flavor
- Crispy oven baked
- Very Satisfying
Vegetarian Eggplant Pizza
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 400 grams chickpeas (1 regular can size)
- 1 cup mushrooms
- cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1 small red onion
- basil pesto
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- Spices, salt & pepper
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise (should make about 4 or 5 slices)
- Rub the eggplants with oil (use your hands or an egg brush) get them well coated, sprinkle very little salt and place into an oven tray to bake on 180 degrees for about 10 minutes or until they turn light golden brown. Turn them over half way through baking.
- Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas (discard the liquid) and pour them into a bowl. Add spices, pesto and a teaspoon of oil. Using your fingers make sure the chickpeas are well coated. Set aside. In a small bowl add the mushrooms and spice them up. Finely chop the peppers and red onion into tiny cubes and mix altogether.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven and start layering. Start with the pesto and tomato covering each slice, one with tomato and one with pesto. Top off with peppers and onion veg mix.Add the chickpeas into the pan and some over the eggplant slices. (Don't wash the bowl!)Give the spices mushrooms a toss in the same bowl that the chickpeas were in, add a drop of oil and coat them properly. Add into the oven tray. Get your mushroom into the tray as well, drizzled with balsamic.Return the tray to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes and grill for 3 to 5 minutes.
- smoked paprika