These PUFF PASTRY BACON PIES are filled with creamy buttered potatoes, peas and bacon! Talk about a match made in heaven! They serve perfectly as a snack, mini pie appetizers or sides and they make a great bite with a large salad! Easy to make, convenient when serving guests because they can also be made smaller and served as a finger food, made slightly bigger or made into one large pan or pot pie.
You can also add so many other ingredients if you want and the the egg wash makes these pies an even more beautiful golden crisp color.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THESE PIES
A simple roll of puff pastry that you can find at most stores and they are very reasonably priced. You can also make your own pastry if you like but this is just quicker and they taste wonderful! Besides, it’s the holidays and with such a fast track on baked goodies, you need all the free time you can make up. It’s crazy how much more we bake over the holidays or how much more eating happens!? I think it’s the same in so many homes as well. Everyone is in a festive mood and have let their guards down in terms of what to eat, being a little more flexible which is wonderful! Rest, relaxation and eating with a festive choice of foods.
PUFF PASTRY BACON PIES
- a roasting pan or sheet
- parchment paper
- brush for the egg wash
- rolling pin
- small sharp knife or pastry cutter
Take the pastry out the freezer the night before and then leave it on the kitchen counter top to reach room temperature before using it. Meanwhile you can start on the quick prep. The preparation for this recipe is so easy.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THESE PUFF PASTRY BACON PIES
- easy to make
- easy to serve
- convenient & versatile
- they look pretty and golden brown
- taste delicious
- keep in the fridge for a day or 2
- freezer friendly
There are many options when making these pies in terms of what you can add?
- creamy chicken and cream
- meaty fillings – anything meat!
- chickpeas, kale and other veggies
PUFF PASTRY BACON PIES W/PEAS, POTATO AND BACON
- 6 potatoes
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 250 grams bacon
- 1 cup frozen peas
- unsalted butter
- fresh Italian parsley (optional)
- 2 eggs with a dash of water (beaten eggs)
- Make sure the pastry and butter are at room temperature.
- Peel and cover the potatoes in water, bring to the boil and cook till done.Drain the water from the potatoes and mash with butter. Add fresh parsley (optional) a sprinkle of salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Fry the bacon in a pan and quickly cook the peas (stove-top or microwave) either way the peas need to be par boiled not cooked because they will cook in the oven, so only a few minutes. Add the bacon into the peas and then add that into the mashed potato. Set the bowl aside and start rolling the pastry.
- Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface and cut squares big enough to wrap over. Place the squares onto an oven tray with parchment paper and set the oven to 180/190 degrees.
- Fill each pastry square with the potato, bacon and peas mix. Beat the eggs, add a little water and use as egg-wash.Lift the sides of the pastry over the filling and brush with egg wash. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
If you try this recipe or any of my recipes don’t forget to leave a comment below TAG me on Instagram #anosmickitchen @anosmickitchen and you can also find me here ⬇️
PIN TO ONE OF YOUR BOARDS FOR LATER!?