This Vegan Gluten Free Berry Cheesecake has a thick and creamy filling that you just might want to drink it's that good! Thanks to my secret ingredient that creates a smooth silky filling which takes this cheesecake from regular to extraordinary!
The almond nut crust is crunchy and delicious giving this cheesecake the perfect texture.
It was an afternoon of pure and simple yet luxurious decadence and was thoroughly enjoyed by all. You know those totally unplanned days, last minute decisions, the concern that because of the no planning nothing will be perfect?
The end result is that you were right. It's not perfect. At least not in the way you would've planned.
But then the way it turns out is even better than you could have imagined.
When nothing extra ordinary happens it's like any other day when you eat, talk and enjoy except it's not like any other day? It's a special day because something in the air is different. Maybe because we are approaching an uncertainty as a country, a nation and strangely the rest of the world as well so we try in some way to hold on to some kind of normality. The moments which were natural yesterday, are so much more sacred today.
The apprehension in the air is made clear to you by empty shelves in the supermarket and large trolleys being pushed with faces filled with anxiety and forceful shy smiles if you're lucky.
When I got home on this day I was completely out of place or out of balance after my food shopping experience. It wasn't so much that hubby dearest had been talking about the Corona Virus for weeks in advance - it was that it was now all so real.
For weeks I heard him talk about the virus because it was tearing peoples lives apart in Italy and on his mind clearly was his own family. He spoke and acted in advance about the virus arrival in South Africa and how we needed to prepare. I kept thinking about it as a distant thought but today in the shops, it suddenly became very real. The next morning I woke up and made this vegan gluten free berry cheesecake.
Cooking and baking is so much more than just work. It is creative food art and it's own kind of therapy and when you end up with dessert - you're winning 🙂
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS CHEESECAKE
- it will undoubtedly make you feel good or better
- no bake cheesecake
- delicious and colorful
- gluten free and dairy free
- takes all of 30 minutes to make
- is an easy fun recipe
THE PREPARATION FOR THIS CHEESECAKE
If you have been following me here or on Instagram you would know that we love vegan cheesecakes. Each time I make it I always change it a little or a lot. Unlike this no bake vegan chocolate cheesecake that I made for our festive celebrations this cheesecake is filled with a frozen blueberry smoothie like filling as opposed to the chocolate filling.
TIPS & SUGGESTIONS
Because fresh berries are not in season right now so that conflicts with my attempts at always trying to work with seasonal produce. That and the fact that there is no way I will pay exorbitant prices for out of season fruit & veg.
The coconut cream in this recipe is what you would call the secret ingredient. It adds so much creaminess and luxury to the cake filling.
The cashew nuts need to be soaked. The longer the soaking the better and the reason we soak is because the cashews make the filling so much more softer and creamier. Between the cashews and the coconut milk the combination takes this vegan gluten free berry cheesecake to a whole other level.
I have made vegan cheesecakes soaking the cashews for 30 minutes and have also soaked them overnight so I can tell you that the overnight soaking definitely gives you an amazing finish. But if you don't have time (just as I did when making this cake) - I had 30 minutes for soaking no more and that's where the coconut cream comes in! So in my humble opinion, this works wonders!
Not to say that it doesn't work without the cream it does but it clearly gives you a different taste.
RAW ORGANIC COCOA
If you can get your hand on raw cocoa take it because it's unprocessed, less bitter but still has that dark chocolate flavor.
Without coconut oil or with too little coconut oil the crust is a little dry so don't leave it out. If you are worried about too much oil then add it by the tablespoon.
Because a pinch of salt helps really bring out the flavor!
Normally I always go with raw honey because we are not vegan (just love the food!) but I wanted this cake 100 % raw and vegan. It adds some sweetness to the cheesecake since this is dessert.
Always enhances the flavor and is vital to baked goods just like salt is to savory food.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Get new recipe updates where I share some inspiration, tips and news straight into your inbox.
Click here or on the image below and then check your email for a welcome letter from me!
VEGAN GLUTEN FREE BERRY CHEESECAKE
OTHER HEALTHY DESSERT RECIPES
- Mixed Berry Creamy Cheesecake
- No Bake No Freeze Chocolate Cheesecake
- Delicious Healthy Easy Chocolate Cheesecake
- Strawberry Sunday Cheesecake
- Dreamy Mixed Berry Dessert
- No-Bake Vegan Chocolate Cheese Cake
There are 2 parts to this cheesecake recipe, the crust and the filling and we have discussed both earlier on. So one more time in case I left something out;
- prepare a cake tin with baking paper for easy cake removal
- make your crust
- leave it in the fridge
- make the filling
- pour it into the crust
- leave it in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight
- leave it at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing
- 7 crust ingredients
- 7 filling ingredients
If you try this Vegan Gluten Free Berry Cheesecake don’t forget to tag your creation and share it with me on Instagram.
@anosmickitchen and use the hashtag #anosmickitchen so that I don’t miss your post!
Are you ready to make this Vegan Gluten Free Berry Cheesecake that's healthy and delicious? Let's do this.
Vegan Gluten Free Berry Cheesecake Recipe - Healthy and Delicious
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats check the label for gluten free they are not all gluten free
- 2 tablespoon raw organic coco powder
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup cashews soaked & covered min 30 min in hot water. see post on this
- 250 ml thick whipping cream
- 1 cup coconut cream
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup almond milk / water on standby as needed
- Additional berries sliced pecans & fresh mint to garnish (optional)
METHOD FOR THE CRUST (cashews must be soaking before you start)
- Prepare a round baking tin 20 inch by 20 inch to be more specific but you can also use a sensibly small to medium regular cake tin which is what this is. See the notes!Cover the bottom with baking paper and set aside till needed. No oil or cooking spray is necessary.
- For the crust, combine all the ingredients into a food processor/blender and blitz till combined. I've added an image in the notes to see the beautiful rough like texture by not over blending.
- Pour the mixed crust into the prepared baking tin and flatten it out evenly using a ¼ cup measure. Let it rest in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
METHOD FOR THE FILLING
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream till stiff. Takes about a minute. Don't over beat. Once you see it stiff, stop. Set aside.
- Remove your cashews from the water and pour into a food processor/blender. Pulse just a little to break the nuts down.
- Add the frozen berries, coconut cream & salt into the blender with the cashews. Blend into a thick creamy puree. (if it's too fluid to move add a little almond milk/water to help it along but be careful not to make it too thin! Add the milk a tablespoon at a time. It should be a thick yet pouring consistency.
- Now add the whipped cream into the blender and use a spoon to fold it in, a few seconds.
- Remove the crust from the fridge, add the filling and leave in the freezer to set till firm. This should set in an 1.5 to 2 hours however never underestimate leaving it longer, it takes time to set so leave it. Overnight preferably. To serve, take it out the freezer and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. Vegan Gluten Free Berry Cheesecake