Packed with flavor, this one pot inexpensive vegetarian lentils rice and potatoes recipe is an easy healthy and delicious meal or side dish! The lentils rice and potatoes all cook in one dish, use these simple ingredients, stores extremely well and feeds an army!
Lentils Rice And Potatoes
I couldn't possibly give this recipe sufficient credit based purely on a recipe and some photos because the taste and the simplicity of it speaks volumes.
I have a lot of love for brown rice and lentils and if my children read this, hopefully 🙂 they would agree wholeheartedly. An affordable and nutritious meal!
Can You Cook Rice And Lentils Together?
Yes absolutely. I make lentils a lot and at times I add ingredients like spinach, broccali and potatoes but never post about it. This time, I decided to post this one pot meal to show the conveniece of cooking rice and lentils together.
How To Cook Lentils With Rice
The minute you add lentils with rice you have a complete protein meal. Add water to cover the lentils and rice, cover and bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer with the lid on until the lentils are soft. Check in to make sure they have sufficient water to prevent them from burning.
What To Add When Cooking Lentils
For an easy lentils recipe I have shared Lentils and Sausage where one of the recipes uses 4 ingredients, quick and easy. Cooking lentils with rice is as easy as combing them together and adding aromatics if you want. Ingredients like, onion, garlic, chili, spices like cumin, coriander, paprika all go really well with lentils and rice. You can also start by creating a base of aromatics to sear the potatoes before adding the rice to get a nice golden brown on the potatoes.
Are Lentils Healthy?
Lentils are a super food. Packed with protein, vitamins and minerals, fiber and iron plus they are easy to store both before and after being cooked. Here are some lentil benefits;
- High protein source
- Plant based
- High nutritional value
- They cook quickly
- Rich in fibre and iron
- Easy to cook
If there's a food group that we should be including more often in our diets it's legumes. The likes of lentils, chickpeas and beans are really good for the body unless for health reasons you cannot eat them.
Do Lentils Need To Be Rinsed?
Personally I always clean and rinse lentils when cooking them. Pour them onto a tray or plate and just give the a touch with your hand as you roll it over. If you feel or see anything odd like a small stone remove it. Pour the lentils into a sift and rinse them under cold water. You can wash them in a bowl or pot but I prefer the water running through them and taking any dust with it.
BUT ... That was before today! Today you can buy lentils that go straight into the pot with no cleaning and no rinsing!
Ingredients Needed For Lentils Rice and Potatoes
- Involtini spice - Smell and Taste
Rice: Basmati brown rice is the rice of choice because it's a slower cooking rice so you dont end up with mushy rice. You can however, use basmatic while rice
Wash the rice a few times and not until the water runs clear, just a few times to remove the obvious white color. Pour into a bowl, pour fresh water over it and let it stand for 30 minutes.
Brown lentils - follow the steps above for cleaning the lentils and then soak in water for 30 minutes.
Potatoes - Cut the potatoes into small pieces since they take long to cook.
Yellow onion - Use up the recommended number of onions as in the recipe card below. I had a half an onion left from another meal and included that too. So if you have a piece of onion left use it up in this recipe. Onions add a lot of flavor especially when cooked on low heat and left to caramelize.
Involtini spice - We need a combination of warm spices with the right balance of heat and those earthy umami flavors and our Involtini spice was created for those tastes, textures and flavors. Otherwise use your favorite warm spices.
Because all good food starts with garlic? Maybe so but it also has health benefits. I've always used garlic as a natural antibiotic for my children when they were little. Soaked overnight with a few other ingredients can take the cough away 🙂
If you don't have passata substitute it with a cup of canned chopped tomatoes.
This recipe uses regular pantry ingredients, is fuss free, easy, healthy and very convenient.
How To Cook Lentils Rice and Potatoes
How To Store Lentils
Store in an airtight container, casserole dish, bowl with cling wrap over and leave it in the fridge overnight. If you plan on leaving it longer than a day then transfer it to a sealable container and it 4 to 5 days in the fridge! Just get it into the microwave for a minute on high to reheat and add a splash of water if necessary.
Freezing lentils recipes is a breeze and they freeze very well for up to 3 months. Alyways make sure that when you freeze food it,s completely cooled and properly wrapped and closed well.
More Lentil Recipes
Stay In Touch!
Shop our online store for quality all natural spices.
Lentils, Rice And Potatoes
- 1 cup basmati brown rice pre-soaked, notes below
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 potatoes cubed
- 4 tbsps. olive oil
- 2 onions diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon Involtini spices
- ¾ cup tomato passata
- 2 cups water
- chopped parsley
- fresh lime
- sprinkle of Involini spice
- drizzle extra virign olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven and cook the onions (add a pinch of salt ) for at least 10 minutes until soft and a light brown color on low to medium heat.
- Lower the heat and add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the passata and the Involtini spice OR your favorite warm spices with a pinch of chili spice.
- Add the lentils, rice, potatoes, spices and passata. Combine and cook for 2 minutues (the time that you mixing it all together).
- Add the water, give it all a gentle fold over with a spoon, put the lid on and let it reach a high bubble or simmer. Drop the heat to a low simmer, leave the lid on and let it simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Check it halfway just see if there's enough water in and it's not burning. If you don't see the water but there are bubbles on rice it has water so don't add. Rather drop the heat if you're worried it might burn.
- Remove the lid and let it continue cooking for another 15 minutes or so for any remaining liquid to evaporate. Turn the heat off.
- Serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice or lemon, chopped parsley, olive oil and a sprinkle of Involtini spice or black pepper or chili.