Oh goodness this air fryer chicken is so delicious! I'm not sure you can go back to oven roast after this AIR FRYER chicken! If you think your air fryer can't give you the same crispy skin and pan juices as your oven, think again! It's not just the crispy skin and the juices that don't stop giving, it's also surprisingly quick! For someone like me, that's so stuck in the oven/stove method, I'm here to tell you that your air fryer is that ONE appliance you'll take out your kitchen in an emergency. But there's no emergency it's the air fryer revolution 🙂
Here's what I know for sure about this air fryer chicken roast, is that it smells amazing! At least those were the constant comments each time my family walked passed or into the kitchen. Serve it up with a ridiculously quick veggie roast without even washing the air fryer. While you at it, stir up a very easy gravy for that finishing touch! This is what I call a delicious, family friendly, easy quick and delicious any day, family dinner!
Or as my carnivore daughter says, 'just for two servings is also alright mom" 🙂
Air Fry Chicken Ingredients
There's not a whole lot that you will need so there's another reason to love this recipe!
Whole Chicken: Clean, wings tucked away and giblets removed.
Salt and Pepper: More salt, less pepper or to taste. Here I've used the salt & pepper from Smell and Taste, removed the portion for the chicken, added fine sea salt (Morton's flaky salt, mortar and pestle, grind it down to fine salt).
Olive oil: Extra virgin, cold pressed from Smell and Taste to bind the spices together and help them stick to the chicken.
Chicken spice: This chicken spice has 13 different spices in it, there's no way it wont flavor your chicken like you've never tasted before!
Italian Meat Rub: The texture and spice from this Italian meat rub a must to add.
How To Air Fry Whole Chicken
I'm still very impressed with how much hands free time an air fryer gives you so I may be going over the top on how you should definitely be making this air fryer chicken roast recipe.
Prep: Pat the chicken dry using kitchen tissue paper or a clean kitchen cloth.
Season: Season lightly with salt and pepper, cover and set aside.
Spice Rub: Spread the spices out onto a plate and add the olive oil. Place the chicken down over the spice mix and oil and roll it around, making sure it's well coated. Use your hands here, wear gloves, your hands are your best basting brush.
Fresh Lemon: Place half fresh lemon into the cavity.
Kitchen Twine: Tying the chicken with kitchen twine helps the chicken cook more evenly. First make sure that wings are tucked away under the chicken so they don't burn out since there's no fat on the edges, they are very thin. Tie the legs together so the lemon doesn't come rolling out.
Air Fry: Place the chicken breast side down and cook on 180 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes.
Flip The Chicken: Flip the chicken over and continue cooking for another 30 minutes or until your kitchen thermometer reads 75 degrees Celsius.
Seasonings Used Here and Why
There's always a spin on the flavor when using spices and seasonings and it's good to level the taste up trying different spices.
Chicken seasoning: Everyday dinners, lunch packs, meal preps and suitable for the whole family.
Paprika Dry Rub: A regular paprika dry rub can give you color and flavor but this paprika dry rub is a combination of herbs and spices, which elevate your dish and your taste buds! There's no leaving it out if you have it.
Italian Meat Rub: Another great textured meat rub and suitable for all types of meat.
What To Serve With Chicken Roast
Where to start is the question! There are so many different ways to serve chicken roast.
Pasta: There are many ways to add serve chicken with pasta, but for now, start with this Easy Chicken and Pasta Recipe, it's so delicious!
Tips and Suggestions
- Chicken wings Tuck these under the chicken to prevent them from burning, since they're so thin and have less fat.
- Breast side down first and then flip! The breasts will dry out much quicker than the rest of the chicken regardless (because they have the least amount of fat on them), so you want to maintain the tender juicy thighs by starting it off breast side down.
- Cooking Time Once you flip the chicken, it needs to cook for another 30 minutes, however, depending on the size of your chicken, it may need less time. My chicken weighed 1.2 kg and 10 minutes before the time, it was done.
- Internal Temperature The correct temperature for your air fryer chicken roast is 75 degrees Celsius but it's important to check at intervals. If you see the temperature between 80 and 90 before the time is up, leave them a minute or 2 longer anyway for the crispness of the skin and then remove the chicken from the air fryer.
- Resting Time: Place the chicken on a plate and cover with a sheet of foil plus a kitchen towel and set aside. If you are making roasted vegetables, this is time! The chicken needs to rest for 10 minutes and that's how long it takes to make the vegetables.
- Kitchen Twine: Let's be clear, it's not compulsory but it does help keep things together so to speak. The chicken gets a more even overall cooking and you know nothing falls out.
- Temperature: 180 C / 365 F Internal Temp: 75 C / 165 F
More Chicken Dinners
The saying 'winner winner chicken dinner' is not for no reason! There are very few family dinners that you can cook in a short time, protein based, family friendly, quick and easy that don't have chicken included.
More Delicious Roast Dinners
For an equally delicious roast chicken but using the oven, definitely make this Christmas Chicken Recipe, you won't be sorry!
Looking For More Recipes?
Shop our online store for quality all natural spices.
OH and please, before you make this - Please leave a review and rating letting us know how liked the recipe, helps this blog provide more free recipes.
Air Fryer Chicken Roast
- 1 1 to 1.5 kg whole chicken preferably free range
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper or season to your taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika dry rub from Smell and Taste
- 1 tablespoon chicken spice from Smell and Taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil from Smell and Taste
- ½ lemon
- 2 to 4 potatoes washed, peeled and halved
- 200 grams green beans cleaned and trimmed average of 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
GRAVY WITH STOCK
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock OR you can also use beef and chicken stock cubes. See Gravy under notes section below.
- 2 tablespoons Maizena or flour
- ¼ cup water
- Pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the air fryer on 180 degrees Celsius / 30 minutes. If your air fryer has no preheat setting, simply set the temperature and let it go "preheat" for 5 minutes.
- Tuck the wings under the chicken to prevent them from burning. Place half fresh lemon inside the chicken cavity. Place the chicken, breast side down in the air fryer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 75 degrees C / 165 F.
- Remove from the air fryer, onto a plate and cover with foil. Leave the chicken roast to rest and make the veggies and gravy.
- Place the carrots and potatoes into the air fryer while the chicken is resting. Season with salt and pepper, shake to combine and pour a drizzle of oil. Air fry for 10 minutes @200 degrees C. Remove the basket and add the green beans (fresh or frozen), give it a gentle shake and back to air fry for another 8 minutes.
- Make a 'slurry' by mixing the Maizena/flour with water into a paste.
- When you transfer the chicken from the air fryer to a platter to rest, pour the air fryer juices into a small saucepan and to that, add the stock. You will have additional juices after the chicken has rested, pour those too into the saucepan. Bring the saucepan to a gentle boil. Add the slurry, stir for roughly a minute or 2.
- Serve the air fryer roast chicken with the roasted vegetables and gravy.