This Beef Stir Fry Recipe is a delicious easy to follow and better than takeout recipe with sweet, sticky and savory umami sauce flavors. Let me take a moment to say that this is the best beef stir fry sauce!
I sincerely believe that a salad is as good as it's dressing no matter if it's a simple lemon and pepper and in this case this beef stir fry is as good as the sauce. The star of the show here is the sauce and trust me, it's amazing!
It's not every day that you have time to wait for a slow roast (even a crackling perfect one!) and especially on a Friday. There's always that weekend apprehension in the air on a Friday that screams 'it's time to start unwinding" and this is how you unwind, a beef stir fry!
Beef Stir Fry Recipe
This beef stir fry recipe is a family and crowd pleaser for sure and everyone should have a quick and easy stir fry recipe in their kitchen. You can make this with any vegetables that you have on hand which makes it very versatile.
You can also get creative with the sauce depending on what's available where you are and what your family prefers. Swop them for something that works for you but I'm hoping that you will definitely give my best stir fry sauce recipe a try!
How To Prep This Beef Stir Fry Recipe
A super easy beef stir fry so let's get to what you need to do in making the most delicious stir fry recipe!
Tips and Suggestions!
- Stir fry recipes are meant to be quick so get already cut beef strips. They are much more tender, no fat and perfect for a stir fry.
- Decide which vegetables you're using and how you want them cut, lengthways or circles or whatever you want to do. Just try and make them look uniformed in shape but then again, I'm all about texture so different shapes is also wonderfully creative!
- Put the veggies in separate bowls, carrots alone, peppers alone (example) and have all the ingredients ready before you start! This recipe goes quick and you will mess it up if you're not prepared.
- Prepare the sauce with the ingredient list in the recipe card below.
We add all the ingredients individually because it helps maintain the crisp texture of the vegetables rather than everything at the same time. Go with it, it works.
Beef Stir Fry Ingredients (Without The Sauce)
- Beef strips
- Red bell peppers (nice and sweet)
- Carrots cut into thin strips
- Red onion, garlic and ginger
- Spring onion
- Toasted nuts and sesame seeds for extra measure 🙂
The Best Stir Fry Sauce Recipe!
Please look at this and tell me that it doesn't look absolutely deliciously and like the food heaven of stir fry recipes! The fragrance and taste is out of this world and if there's any left over, make sure you do a left over warm up 🙂
If you make too much (mwah) then leave it in the fridge for the next day. It keeps well in a sealed container or simply cover it with cling wrap. Either way, it's those one of a kind incredible left over's like a great curry!
Wok vs Regular Pan
This is where I say go with your instinct because not all woks and pans are the same and only you know how your pans cook. Given that you don't want to overcook the beef strips and that the entire process needs to be quick you cannot have a slow cooking pan.
I have a wok but prefer to use a pan instead and here's why;
My wok will create liquid in the pan (juices from the meat) instead of browning the meat and I want a sear in those 4 minutes that the beef hits the pan. The other pan does exactly that - sears and no liquid. Hope that helps.
Substituting The Vegetables
You don't need a host of vegetables to make a good stir fry. You can have 1 or more ingredients depending on what you want and have available, here are a few ideas;
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
You can even add celery it's really about what you and your family will enjoy.
Whatever your favorite is in terms of if it's noodles what sort of noodles do you prefer or spaghetti's also great for stir fry, rice or tofu.
More Quick and Easy Recipes
- Crunchy Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
- Chicken Spaghetti Stir Fry With Vegetables
- Beef Broccoli Stir-Fry Recipe with a Yogurt Marinade
- My Homemade Beef and Cranberry Stir Fry
- Veggie Tofu Stir-Fry Recipe
Okay friends and family I hope that you enjoyed this recipe and will not forget to rate this recipe below, much appreciated.
Here's the best tip I can give you, again - have everything ready before you start. Enjoy!
Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
- 500 grams beef strips
- 2 tbsps. oil vegetable canola
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 6 small garlic cloves minced or 4 medium size
- 1 tbsp. ginger grated
- 2 tbsps oil vegetable canola (split between the 3 ingredients above and the 2 ingredients below because they are cooked separately)
- 2 carrots thinly sliced julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced seeds discarded
- sesame seeds toasted
- nuts toasted
- spring onion
The Best Beef Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tbsps. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsps. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsps. sherry or port
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ½ cup water
Maizena (Cornflour) Slurry
- 2 tbsps. maizena
- ½ cup water
- Combine the maizena and water, stir to combine and set aside.
- In a measuring jug add the sauce ingredients and use a fork to mix it together.
- Heat a large non stick pan or wok and wait for it to heat, takes a couple of seconds then add 2 tablespoons of oil which will heat up immediately and shimmer so add the beef strips. See notes below on seasoning.
- Leave the beef strips to sear, stir once or twice. This takes about 4 minutes to have them slightly seared, they wont be completely brown. Remove and set aside.
- Same pan add one tablespoon of oil from the veggies ingredients and add the onions for a few seconds only (keeping them crunchy). Follow up with the garlic and ginger, a few more seconds, remove and set aside on a plate. Same pan, add the last tablespoon of oil. Add the carrots and bell pepper. Try not to mix it up rather shake, toss or use a wooden spoon to slightly separate so they don't burn. About 2 minutes. Don't add any water yet! Add a tablespoon or two of the 'sauce ingredients' if needed, shake and return the rest of the ingredients.
- Return the beef strips, onions, garlic & ginger half of the sauce and the cooked noodles. Gently mix to combine.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over and about 2 tablespoons of water and the maizena slurry. Gently combine, cook for another 2 minutes or until the sauce is nice and thick. Remove from the heat.
- Add the nuts, sesame seeds and spring onions. See notes below on consistency.
Note 1.Beef I did not season the beef strips because the sauce has well seasoned and flavored ingredients otherwise it may be salty or too hot with any extra seasoning as well. This stir fry sauce is meant to be thick so don't be in a hurry to add water. If by the end of the recipe it's too thick then add just less than a quarter cup of water before taking it off the heat and make sure the heat is high. Shake and remove off the heat. Continue with recipe serving suggestions.
If you make this recipe, I'd love to see your food creation on social media! All of Instagram, Twitter and Facebook so please tag them @anosmickitchen
Have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? Join 100's of others and get your dose of food inspiration!
Widget not in any sidebars