More than just a side snack next to a dip this celery shines gloriously in this salad along with extra crunch and delicious bites. Mediterranean inspired ingredients minus the cheese allowing the celery to be bold and beautiful (and don't leave the stems out) served with a fresh and simple red wine vinaigrette.
This celery salad is what comes together when you are wanting a crunchy and satisfying salad with a tangy delicious taste all at the same time. Loving this salad that's also so gorgeous on the table. Make it your own by leaving out what you don't like and adding in something new! We love olives and anchovies but I realize and know some people who will absolutely not eat one or both of these so just customize it to your families preferences.
INGReDIENTS IN THIS CELERY SALAD
Celery - Beautiful green celery and don't toss the leaves especially if they are not bruised because they not only add a textured dimension to your salad but if you leave one or 2 out they make for beautiful presentation. Sure someone at the table will start nibbling on those that are standing out 🙂
Red Kidney Beans - Canned beans because they are convenient but you can swop the beans for any other ones like a can of mixed beans or chickpeas?
Avocado - Only one was needed in this recipe and it was ample. Also we have avocado season upon us right now so there's nothing more fulfilling than buying in season produce. It's not only so affordable it's also a lot more fresh hence a higher amount of nutritional value. That and we need to support those farmers and workers and celebrate them for bringing us fresh beautiful produce.
Celery and red kidney beans are what the key ingredients since are we are making a celery salad and beans are to leave us with that satisfied feeling where we're not hungry 5 minutes later. The rest of the ingredients although easily customizable are very good in this salad:
- pitted olives (black would be lovely also just to add the color contrast to the bowl
- peppers - if you can find the small snacking peppers because they a little sweeter and smaller making it easier to work with otherwise if you have large ones try and do small slim cuts that will work with the other ingredients
- capers - you only need a few but when you land one of them in your mouth you will taste a burst of delicious if you like capers otherwise leave them out
- anchovies - that's entirely optional however delicious they certainly are!
- parsley or another fresh herb
ASSEMBLING THE SALAD
Below I've given you some of my suggestions in terms of assembling because you can have all the right ingredients and maybe your salad doesn't turn out the way you expected so hopefully my tips will help.
These ingredients are such strong additions when making a Mediterranean inspired salad which doesn't need cheese. This celery salad if you wanted to you could add some fresh mozzarellas or feta etc but the point is to use more of the celery stalks and the celery leaves so that we can give celery time to shine.
Again, we don't want to take away from the star of the show with a heavy dressing. Here I went with a very simple red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and our Smell and Taste Salt & Pepper Seasoning. For more information about our spice range please visit our SHOP.
MY TIP OR SUGGESTION
Because salads like this have tiny ingredients like capers and anchovies I find it best to do most of the dressing before assembling the salad.
- Rinse the beans and leave to drip while you prep
- Add a drizzle of oil, salt, pepper and a few parsley bits into a bowl with the beans. Toss and add after the celery. In this way there is less chance of the beans creating mush in the salad.
- Cut the avocado last, preferably just before serving with a drizzle of lime/lemon
- Leaving the salad in the fridge till dinner? no problem just don't add dressing until you serve
Those are a just few tips that could help in creating a fresh crunchy salad. Adding theƙ beans first and then trying to mix everything together can lead to an unattractive and unappetizing salad. Focus on fresh ingredients and bite sized pieces and your salad will be amazing!
MORE SALAD RECIPES TO LOVE
- Super Simple Blackberry Salad With Burrata Cheese
- Plum Salad With Carpaccio and Pecans
- Salmon, Quinoa and Chickpea Salad
- Grilled Chicken Salad
- Braised Lamb Shanks In Red Wine
- Family Quinoa Salad
- 4 celery stalks leaves included
- 410 grams red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 200 grams pitted olives
- 2 peppers colorful snacking peppers are smaller
- capers just a couple
- anchovies 2 to 3, roughly chopped
- Salt and Pepper Seasoning Smell & Taste Basics. Add for your taste.
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 fresh limes or lemons
- salt and pepper
- Measure all the ingredients for the salad dressing, add into a jar or jug, whisk or shake to combine and set aside.
- Rinse and drain the beans, set aside to drip while you prep the celery, peppers, parsley, olives, avocado and the rest of the ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients into a large salad bowl or platter starting with the celery and peppers, followed by the beans and the rest of the ingredients. Finish with the avocado so there's no mushy salad. (look at the post for more tips on how to assemble)
- Serve with the salad dressing in the fridge and add a sprinkle of seasoning to taste. Enjoy, Miranda xoxo