Creamy mushroom sauce that's so indulgent everyone should taste it! To turn this sauce into a gourmet dinner, make my easy Mushroom Pasta!
You can serve mushroom sauce with just about anything from vegetables to meat, rice and yes crusty bread! It's such a "je ne sais quoi" (an indescribable taste of pure elegance).
Mushrooms for me are a treat just like escargot (snails) which was always my appetizer choice for a long time. Escargot when done right are also "je ne sais quoi" taking on the taste of the sauce or butter that they are prepared in.
You will get compliments of the incredible aroma from your family when you make this sauce! Almost in anticipation of what the mushroom sauce tastes like. Is that really just mushrooms?
Mostly yes it's mushrooms but for the best mushroom sauce you simply must add white wine, cream and Parmesan cheese. If you are not open to the wine then use more stock.
Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
Don't forget that you can find the full recipe in the recipe card below.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce Method
It's a three step easy process.
Mushrooms: Cook / Sauté the mushrooms until the color has gone from white or light brown to dark brown. Takes about 5 minutes to sauté
Deglaze: Add the liquid to deglaze (wine and stock or just stock).
Luxury Ingredients: Add the cream and parmesan cheese.
How To Use This Extra Measure Creamy Mushroom Sauce
You can add mushroom sauce to vegetables especially potatoes, it goes brilliantly with green beans too!
A few more ways to use this sauce is the obvious steak because steak and Mushroom sauce😍
Add mushrooms to pasta and call it a day! Here's a creamy spaghetti mushroom recipe for dinner this week.
Not just great with steak (although phenomenal!) but with chicken or any other meat. Think protein and mushrooms like this Chicken and Mushroom Recipe.
Add this mushroom sauce to rice or make this all time creamy and delicious Super Simple Risotto Recipe
And for pure comfort add it to mashed potatoes! Mashed Potatoes With Mushrooms
More Delicious Recipes
- Mushroom Pasta
- How To Make Béchamel Sauce
- Steak and Roasted Vegetables
- Creamy Bacon Pasta
- Romesca Sauce
- Pesto Pasta Salad
Frequently Asked - Creamy Mushroom Sauce
What mushrooms to use for mushroom sauce?
Any mushrooms, I find that portabella mushrooms are always available.
Which wine goes well in a mushroom sauce?
Dry white wine, try and avoid sweet wines because even though the wine does cook out, it will change the taste. A dry, crisp and fresh white wine is a great suggestion, like Sauvignon Blanc.
Can the wine be substituted?
If you don't drink wine, stick to adding the stock and use stock in place of the wine too. However, if you are using just stock, make sure it's chicken stock and not vegetable stock since chicken has better flavor. Taste and perhaps use part water when adding the stock that's substituting the wine. I've also added champagne to this recipe, not bad at all!
Using pre-grated Parmesan cheese
Using pre-grated store bought Parmesan cheese is a no no. Buy your own block of Parmesan and grate it yourself, it makes the world of difference!
Use any thick cream, but double thick cream and thick cream work best. You can also use cream that comes in a box at Woolies, UHT process long life cream. There's one that's for whipping and there's one that's for soups and sauces, take the soup and sauces. These have a long shelf life so it's good to have them on stand-by for if you don't find thick cream.
Another alternative when you don't have thick cream
You know how you can add Maizena in a little gravy or soup to thicken it? You can do the same with cream just before adding it to the mushroom sauce if you only have a regular cream (not thick). Take a little cream out, add a teaspoon of Maizena, make a 'slurry' (paste) and then pour it back into the pan with the remaining cream. Maizena acts a thickening agent, so this will thicken the sauce. However, it's important to remember that this sauce needs to thicken but still have a slight pouring consistency so don't over thicken it! As it stands, it continues to thicken.
If you try this Creamy Mushroom Sauce please feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your dish and share it on Instagram, please tag me @anosmickitchen and use the hashtag #anosmickitchen because I love seeing your remakes! Happy cooking😀
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 400 grams mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 minced cloves fresh garlic or 2 medium cloves
- ¼ cup white wine, dry
- ½ cup stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 250 ml thick cream, 1 cup
- salt and pepper, pinch
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh thyme
- In a non stick pan heat the oil and melt the butter.2 tbsps unsalted butter, 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Add the sliced mushrooms and leave them to cook until golden brown. Gently mix them once or twice but don't constantly fiddle with them.400 grams mushrooms, sliced
- Towards the end of them browning add the garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Cook a further minute or so just for the garlic to cook.3 minced cloves fresh garlic or 2 medium cloves, salt and pepper, pinch
- Add the wine to deglaze the pan, scrape up the bits as the wine bubbles and leave to continue cooking until it's sort of evaporated (about a minute)¼ cup white wine, dry
- Add the stock, fresh cream, stir and add the parmesan cheese. Lower the heat to medium and let it simmer on a low simmer. It will simmer for 2 to 3 minutes into a thicker sauce but don't let it simmer until it's too thick, it needs to still have a slight pouring consistency.½ cup stock (chicken or vegetable), 250 ml thick cream, 1 cup, ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Add the fresh thyme, taste for salt & pepper and adjust to your taste. Remove from the stove.fresh thyme
- Serve with pasta, potato roasted vegetables, chicken and steak.