This homemade salsa also known which may also be known as 'pico de gallo' is made using fresh tomatoes, red onion, garlic, lime and a bit of heat for authenticity.
Making salsa is not only easy its also a fresh and light dish that comes together very quickly. I think the best way to enjoy a homemade salsa is give the ingredients time to settle in. Or serve it immediately! I find that it works and is actually quite forgiving either way.
This was a standard quite popular side dish of my mothers growing up and I think it was because my Dad truly appreciated the zing in it. Those onions (red or white) in salt, juicy tomatoes and fresh lemon makes my mouth water! Leaving it to sit for a while lets everything settle in pretty well. Known more as a salsa instead of a pico de gallo in South Africa.
Ideas To Mix It Up
- Hot sauces
- Bell Peppers
- Fruit like mangoes, plums, nectarines and pineapple
Salsa Serving Options
Salsa goes very well with so many dishes but there are some it really complements:
- Curry and rice
- Cool cucumber salad
- Spinach and mango salad
- Oven Baked Chicken and Crunchy Rice Casserole
- Lemon Butter Chicken Wings
- Easy Minced Beef Tacos Recipe
- Chicken Wings
- Italian Antipasti
- Fried Sage Leaves Recipe
I think depending on what you're serving this homemade salsa would be a wonderful addition to meat and salad.
Chicken and Beans Tacos
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
Shop our online store for quality all natural spices.
- 4 large roma tomatoes diced
- ½ finely chopped onion
- ½ deseeded and choped yellow bell pepper
- ¼ deseeded and chopped red bell pepper
- 1 chopped medium chili pepper or jalepeno with seeds unless you want less heat then dessed it.
- generous pinch of salt
- sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ small to medium freshly squeezed lime juice
- bunch of fresh herbs like parsley or coriander
- In a bowl add the chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, some of the fresh herbs and chili or jalepeno pepper.
- Stir in the lime juice, season, remaining fresh herbs and refrigerate until needed.