This is a healthy spinach quiche and we are not having the 'but it's a frittata' conversation I beg you! A frittata is this recipe because it has no crust, a quiche is this recipe because it has cream and bakes on the stove-top and in the oven. You get the gist of this recipe right? Point is, it's easy to make, taste delicious, a wonderful way to use up left overs and is the best make-ahead lunch!
Ingredients For A Healthy Spinach Quiche
This recipe uses these ingredients but frittata or quiche really should be a way to use up any bits you may have over to avoid waste. The ingredients may sound random (they are) but they work!
Quiche serves great at breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack and stores beautifully in the fridge!
Eggs A great source of protein and the foundation of a great quiche and frittata.
Spinach - Add more or less and baby spinach is best here.
Bacon - You can use any meat here, ham, salami, chorizo, pork and just about every other meat.
Onions - Brown onion or spring onion if possible is a lighter tasting onion for this recipe.
Fresh Cream The cream pulls the ingredients together beautifully creating a rich texture and taste.
Cottage Cheese - tried something different with this quiche. It worked! A thicker richer consistency without the over indulgence feeling/taste.
Tahini - I had some left over tahini and I had to try it. The result: it took the taste up a notch or two! You can definitely add less if you are concerned but the nuttiness from the tahini and egg was a hit!
How To Make Healthy Spinach Quiche
This recipe goes very quick because it doesn't cook for long on the stove since we finish it up in the oven.
Onion and garlic: Cook in the heated oil. They don't take long, about 2 minutes.
Seasoning: Always season as you go, season in layers. We are using the salt and pepper premix which is a kitchen essential from Smell and Taste.
Bell peppers: Chopped small so they cook as quick and don't dominate the dish. A mix of colorful bell peppers adds a pop of color. You can also use mushrooms if you don't have bell peppers.
Bacon: I prefer the chopped bacon, add it in about a minute after the peppers.
Spinach: Baby spinach wilts rather than cooks so it's a better choice and has a milder taste than other spinach types. This recipe calls for 1 cup however, I really pack it in that cup! I'm sure if it were loose it would be 2 cups because I press it in one cup.
Wet ingredients: Its best to work in a separate bowl with the wet ingredients. I use a measuring jug, starting with the eggs, beat them in and then add the rest of the dairy and seasoning.
Stove top to oven: Start cooking it on the stove on low to medium heat. It goes quick, one ingredient after another. The dairy is poured over and ready to bake! Super simple recipe!
Bake: Once the liquid dairy is poured over, add the grated cheese and bake on low heat, 175 to 180 degrees Celsius, stove dependent.
Cool: Allow the quiche to cool down before you cut into it (3 to 4 minutes). However, it's best to transfer it once cooled to a serving plate if your pan is taking long to cool down.
Healthy Spinach Quiche
- 1 small onion or ½ large onion
- 2 tbsps. coconut oil olive oil, any oil
- 2 minced garlic
- ½ cup mushrooms or bell peppers chopped
- 1 pkt bacon pieces
- 1 cup spinach packed
- ½ cup cottage cheese or buttermilk
- 2 tbsps. tahini optional
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper pre-mix
- ¾ cup cream
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1 cup grated cheese any and can also be mixed
- Preheat the oven between 175 and 180 degrees Celsius. Use a pan/skillet that can go from stove-top to the oven otherwise you have to change pans later.
- In an oven proof pan or skillet, heat the oil and add the onion and garlic till cooked about 1 minute or 2. Add the vegetable and bacon and lower the heat, let it cook for another minute or 2 then toss in the spinach. Mix till its all combined remove from the heat but leave it in the pan to cook finish.
- Meanwhile crack the eggs in a jug or bowl and add the fresh cream, cottage cheese or buttermilk, salt & pepper and tahini.
- Pour the creamy custard mixture over the onions, bacon and spinach. Top off with grated cheese and bake for 12 minutes. The center will still be a bit jiggly but the edges will be cooked, turn the grill on for 2 minutes. Remove and cool for another 2 minutes before cutting in to serve.
- Serve with a fresh side of greens.
- the pan is not non stick or
- you let it over cook
- the heat was too high
- it was left in the pan too long