Super simple yet still exquisite, this spaghetti with clams and garlic remains my husbands all time favorite! There some dishes that resonate with a part of us, nostalgic and this dish, is the one for him. We absolutely love food in this house and sometimes we don't always agree on the menu so when it comes to the weekend I stick with our favourites. Pasta is our first love, at least for my husbands, then meat and finally my good old veggies which are my first love, that and any legumes!
Spaghetti and Clams
If the clams are fresh, then you need to soak them in water with salt (average 2 hours) just as you do with mussels so that they can 'self clean' so to speak before you cook them. Once the clams have soaked, you give them a good scrub under a running cold water tap, rinse thoroughly and you are ready to go.
If the clams are frozen, it's really been done for you so you go straight to the recipe.
Where to buy clams?
Your regular supermarket might stock it? Or you can buy them from a fish shop if you have one near you. When you buy from the fish shop (that's what I call it although they sell more than just fish!) they might give it to you in a bag so just take them out the bag and put them in a bowl in the fridge. Then you must check them. If they are closed they are still alive which means they are okay but if they are open, just throw them out. This is before cooking.
More Pasta Recipes
Spaghetti And Clams
- 200 grams spaghetti
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 fresh red chili
- 400 grams clams
- Flat Italian parsley - about a handful0 chopped
- salt to taste pepper is optional for additional flavor though the recipe does have chili
- ½ cup white wine
- In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente (to the tooth) drain and set aside. Leave about a fraction of water in the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, get started on this easy clam process.
- Heat a non stick pan on medium to high heat.
- Heat the olive oil and add the minced garlic - mix and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the fresh chili or crushed chili flakes, mix, add the clams, toss in the wine, cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Once the clams open up - increase your heat a little (it's all very quick) and add the fresh parsley.
- Now add in the spaghetti to the clams and season to taste with coarse black pepper and salt.