This Overnight Slow Cooker Lamb Leg Roast is shockingly easy and worth every minute! It's is completely hands-off and you are rewarded the most tender fall-apart meat. Similar to my 2 Ingredient 7-Hour Lamb Roast but incase you don't have a Slow Cooker you can still make a phenomenal oven bake Lamb Leg Roast.
The full recipe card is below with a detailed step by step method which includes the times that I cooked this lamb. However, please use the times as a guideline and remember that you can go with the times that suit you best. If you want to use the times on the recipe card below, that's great because I found them very convenient! You go to sleep and wake up to a cooked lamb leg.
Special celebrations call for special moments and celebrations are usually marked by people, places and food. These moments become our memories. Taking this extremely soft and delicious roast to your family table creates not only a centerpiece but also conversation. Having a few side dishes to go along creates more than a meal it then becomes an occasion.
So you see, food is never just food, it so much more. You will love this lamb leg roast in the slow cooker, it's easy and convenient.
This recipe has been inspired by my love of cooking and my other lamb recipes.
There a few things to consider when you make this overnight slow cooker lamb. Yes it's easy and it's hands-off but it does need a little planning.
Decide where you are buying your lamb from and make sure its a reputable source. Also check that the lamb leg can fit into the slow cooker because mine is oval but yours may be round.
This is what you will need for this overnight lamb slow roast.
Front Lamb Leg: Bone-in, just over 2kg, about 2.3kg.
Seasoning and spice dry rub: I used these spices.
Carrots and celery stalks: Purely to enhance flavor but they should be rinsed first. Peeling the carrots is not necessary and you also don't have to remove the end bits, I remove them because they do have a slightly bitter taste. Feel free to add onion and garlic should you wish.
Water: Here you can replace the water with stock, wine or even beef cubes in water. I went with water in this recipe because as I've said before, believe it or not, just water makes great soup or stock.
Olive oil: To coat the lamb and help the spices get into the skin.
How To Cook Overnight Slow Cooker Lamb
This step by step method is in the full recipe card below.
Prep the lamb: Remove the packaging from the lamb and let it sit at room temp for an hour to 2 hours before you start seasoning.
Make slits/cuts: Use a small sharp knife to cut slits into the skin of the lamb. Not too deep but deep enough for the spices to get in and flavor the meat.
Season: Pat the lamb dry, add the seasoning, spice and olive oil. Rub everything into the lamb.
Prep the veggies: Rinse and roughly chop the veggies and add them into the inner pot of the slow cooker.
Rest in the fridge: Place the lamb into the inside pot of the slow cooker, over the veggies and place the it in the fridge, covered. Leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours until you are ready to cook.
Cook the lamb: Add the water making sure to pour in from the sides, so as not to pour over the spices. Place the inner pot inside the slow cooker and set it to the "low setting".
10-Hour - Overnight Slow Cook Lamb
10-Hour Slow Cook: In 10-hours, remove the lamb onto an oven tray and set aside. Turn the slow cooker off and use the remaining liquid to make a gravy. You can serve the carrots to eat if you like because they will still be in shape but not the celery.
Preheat the oven: Half hour before you serve, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F and place the rack in the lower bottom. Drizzle a little olive oil over the meat to coat and bake it for 10 to 15 minutes.
Please don't leave it unattended because oven temperatures differ and if you've been using your oven for another dish, chances are it will be still hot. Check the lamb so it doesnt burn, we just want it browned a little on top.
This step is also optional, you can serve it without browning.
Serve: Remove from the oven onto a platter and loosely cover with foil, set aside for 20 to 30 minutes before using a fork or 2 to pull the meat apart and serve.
More Lamb Recipes
If you loved this recipe, take a look at my other lamb recipes.
FAQ's Overnight Slow Cooker Lamb
There is always that one question that may not be answered and if you don't find it here, or here, please drop a comment in the comments section below.
What's the difference between cooking lamb in the slow cooker and cooking in the oven?
What makes lamb roast so special?
A lot of things make lamb roast special, from the convenience of 'cook it and forget it' to the most tender meat you can find. It also makes great sandwiches with the leftovers!
What type of seasoning is best for lamb?
This seasoning is best for lamb. It's 100% natural toasted spices, delicious and fragrant.
Do you have to roast lamb in the oven after cooking it in the slow cooker?
Not at all, it's personal choice but not mandatory since the lamb is ready to be served once it's done in slow cooker.
RATE AND COMMENT
Before you go! Please leave a review and rating in the recipe card below, letting me know how you liked the recipe and don't forget to tag me @anosmickitchen or use the hashtag #anosmickitchen on Instagram should you share your own creations of my recipes. Many thanks, Miranda. xx
Overnight Slow Cooker Lamb
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 1 Oven tray
- 2 forks for lifting
Overnight Slow Cooker Lamb Roast
- 5pm - Prep the lamb: Remove the packaging from the lamb and let it sit at room temp for an hour to 2 hours before you start seasoning.
- 6.30pm - Prep to season: Pat the lamb dry using kitchen paper towels. Turn it over and dry all round before seasoning.
- Season: Sprinkle the salt and pepper, lamb dry rub and drizzle the olive oil over. Gently pat/rub all the seasoning and oil into the lamb making sure it's well covered all around. If you need any more, add a teaspoon at a time and don't forget to taste what you're adding onto the lamb. This way, your lamb will need no seasoning when it's cooked, that's what we call 'perfectly seasoned'.
- Prep the veggies: Wash the celery and carrots, remove the bits on the ends and roughly slice them into chunks. No need to peel the carrots since these are purely for flavor.
- Place the veggies into the inner pot of the slow cooker (no liquid) and place the lamb over the veggies. Leave in the refrigerator covered till it's time to cook.
- 8pm - Prep the slow cooker: Remove the slow cooker from the fridge and leave it at room temp.
- 9pm - Add the water and turn the slow cooker onto the 'low setting'.
- 7am - Remove the lamb from the slower cooker and place it on an oven tray to rest for 30 minutes. If you are not using the lamb immediately attend to it closer to the time. Loosely cover with foil.
- Anytime here, you can make this meat gravy.
- Midday - Preheat the oven: Half an hour before the time that you are ready to use finish the lamb recipe, preheat the oven to 200C/400F and place the rack one below the middle.
- Prep the lamb to brown: Use a fork or two to pull the meat apart and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Place in the oven to brown for 10 to 15 minutes but keep an eye on it, if your oven is already hot from cooking other food, the lamb will brown very quick!
- Remove, and serve.