Oven Baked Crunchy Chicken Breast with a soy and honey sauce is a sensational recipe! It's easy to make, rewarding and a must try for anyone who loves a twist on classic chicken dishes. By the time you've dredged the chicken, which takes all of 5 minutes, it goes into the oven and you make your 5 minute sauce.
The Best Part? You've probably got the ingredients and you can use any protein not just chicken - lamb, beef, pork, fish, salmon, tuna.
Baked Crunchy Chicken Breast
This sauce is a variation of my Duck In Red Wine Sauce which was so good I had to recreate and tweak it for this crunchy chicken.
It's ideal for this time of year, what do I mean? It's almost Christmas and there's a lot of honey, orange, cranberry sauces being made! What I love is that it's another sauce recipe and as a homecook your best sauce recipes will help save dinner! This baked crunchy chicken breast is ideal for a night in, family dinner, special occasion, or just because. Regardless it's sure to impress with its unique flavour profile and satisfying crunch.
Chicken With Honey, Chili and Soy
I think every family who loves chicken, has enjoyed crunchy chicken, either coated in breadcrumbs, some sort of cereal, crackers and my favorite, nuts and seeds. There really is one hundred ways to coat chicken and with a good sauce recipe, you have a sensational chicken dinner!
Ingredients You Need
There are eight ingredients and each one is necessary so it's good that they're all kitchen staples!
Chicken Breasts: The star of the dish, providing a lean and tender base.
Olive Oil: It adds moisture and helps the cornflake coating stick to the chicken.
Salt and Pepper: These are Basic seasonings to enhance the natural flavours of the chicken.
Smoked Paprika: It Gives a subtle smokiness and depth of flavour.
Eggs: Eggs Act as a binding agent for the cornflake coating.
Yogurt: Keeps the chicken tender, adds flavor and moisture, love it!
Cornflakes: Cornflakes are crushed for a crispy, crunchy coating.
Parmesan Cheese: It Adds a savoury, cheesy element to the coating.
Honey Soy Sauce Ingredients
The easiest most versatile honey soy sauce ever!
Honey: The base of the sauce provides a sweet and sticky texture.
Hot Chili Sauce: It brings heat to the sauce, balancing the sweetness of Honey.
Soy Sauce: It Adds a savoury, umami depth.
Butter: Butter makes everything better we all know that and it's because it has a rich almost luxurious smooth flavor to it. Butter can also help mellow out the stronger flavors.
Chilli Flakes: These are perfect For an extra kick of heat.
Salt and Pepper: Add salt and pepper To taste to balance the flavours.
- Maldon Salt: It is perfect For adding a burst of flavour and texture.
- Chopped Herbs: Use herbs Like parsley for a fresh, aromatic finish.
How To Make Baked Crunchy Chicken Breast
Find the full recipe below in the recipe post but here is a quick idea of how easy it is to make cruncy chicken.
- Slice the chicken breast in half to make cutlets and season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs and add yogurt and paprika with a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Grate the cheese and crush the cornflakes, combine and spread them out on an oven tray.
- Lay the cutlets over the crumbing mix and turn them over to coat.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes.
How easy was that?!
You can either make the sauce before the chicken or while the chicken is in the oven. It takes all of 5 minutes! Combine the sauce ingredients and heat.
Variation and Substitution Ideas
Gluten-Free Option: For a gluten-free version, use crushed gluten-free cereal or breadcrumbs instead of cornflakes.
Proteins: This recipe can also be made with boneless pork chops or turkey breasts for a different flavour profile.
Vegan Twist: For a vegan alternative, use firm tofu slices or cauliflower steaks instead of chicken. Use a plant-based milk and flour mixture for the egg substitute.
Spice Mixes: Experiment with different spice mixes for seasoning the chicken, such as Cajun, Italian seasoning, or a curry blend for an international twist.
Sweetener Variations: If Honey isn't your preference, try using maple syrup or agave nectar in the hot honey sauce for a different kind of sweetness.
Nutty Coating: Add finely chopped nuts like almonds or pecans to the cornflake mixture for added crunch and nuttyiness.
Cheese Varieties: Swap parmesan cheese with grated Asiago or Romano for a different cheesy flavour in the crust.
Fruity Hot Honey Sauce: Incorporate a puree of mango or pineapple into the hot honey sauce for a fruity and spicy combination.
As a Main Course: Serve the hot honey chicken as a main dish with sides like mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, or a fresh salad.
In Sandwiches or Wraps: Slice the chicken and use it in sandwiches or wraps, along with lettuce, tomatoes, and a drizzle of the hot honey sauce.
With Rice or Quinoa: Pair the chicken with a bed of rice or quinoa, which will absorb the delicious flavours of the sauce.
Appetizer Style: Cut the chicken into smaller pieces and serve as appetizers or party snacks with toothpicks and a side of hot honey sauce for dipping.
Over Pasta: Slice the chicken and serve it over a plate of pasta, like spaghetti or fettuccine, with an extra drizzle of the hot honey sauce.
Salad Topping: Top a hearty green salad with slices of chicken for a satisfying and balanced meal.
With Breads: Enjoy the chicken with a side of crusty bread or garlic bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
How To Store Baked Crunchy Chicken Breast?
Here are a few tips to remember before storing Honey and chilli chicken:
- Allow the chicken to cool to room temperature before storing. Storing it while still hot can lead to condensation inside the container, making the chicken soggy and potentially promoting bacterial growth.
- Place the cooled chicken in an airtight container. Refrigerated, it will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- If you need to store the chicken for a longer period, freezing is a good option. Wrap each piece individually in cling film or aluminium foil, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. Frozen, the chicken can be stored for up to 3 months.
- When ready to eat, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator overnight. Avoid thawing at room temperature, as it can encourage bacterial growth.
Reheating: Reheat the chicken in the oven or microwave until it is thoroughly warmed through. If using a microwave, cover the chicken to retain moisture. In the oven, a low temperature, like 350°F (175°C), is ideal to warm it without drying it out.
More Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Herb-Infused Chicken Pasta
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Caprese Salad Sticks With (Chicken)
Baked Crunchy Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless skinless, chicken breasts, sliced into 8 cutlets
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper divided
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 eggs whisked
- ¼ cup yogurt plain full fat
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 4 cornflakes crushed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
Honey Soy Sauce
- ⅓ Cup honey
- 1 Tbsps hot chilli sauce
- 2 Tbsps Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt and pepper
- salt flakes
- freshly chopped parsley
Make the honey sauce
- In a medium size saucepan, add the sauce ingredients and bring up to a boil. Lower to a decent simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/ 374°F and place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray/sheet.
- Slice the chicken breasts down the middle so that they make 8 thin cutlets. If the cutlets are still too big, cover with cling wrap and use a mallet or a rolling pin to thin them out so that they are more or less the same size.
- In a bowl, add the whisked eggs, paprika, salt & pepper and yogurt. Use a fork to combine. Pour the egg mixture over the chicken covering it all. If time permits, cover with cling wrap and leave in the fridge for an hour or move onto the next step.
- Add the grated cheese to the crushed cornflakes with a tablespoon of olive oil and combine. Pour the crushed flakes and cheese mix onto the prepared oven tray and add the chicken cutlets on top. Turn them over to collect the crumb mix on the other side. Drizlle well with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken rests for 5 minutes, warm up the honey soy sauce. If it's too thick, you need it to be runny so add ice water starting with 2 tablespoons depending on how you want the consistency.
- Serve the crunchy chicken with salt flakes, freshly chopped parsley and the warm honey soy sauce.
These chicken cutlets were flattened on the thicker parts so they cook evenly. How long do chicken cutlets take to oven bake? They should cook for 15 to 20 minutes oven depending/thickness on 190°C/374° F. For a more accurate measure, use an instant read thermometer. A quick note: I find that setting the oven to 200°C/400°F is too high for chicken cutlets and it tends to dry them out. How to keep the chicken tender? Chicken breast, has minimal fat in comparison to a chicken drumstick or thigh. So don't skip the egg dredging, add full fat yogurt or cream to the egg for fat and drizzle with olive oil before baking. How to keep chicken crispy after cooking it? Keep it air dry. Don't seal it off in a container or cover it. Does parchment paper work? Yes. It's a great easy-to-clean method and I find that it helps keep the chicken from drying out as much.