Cucumber tomato salad with a sour cream tahini dressing, light, zesty and refreshing! Perfect for summer time lunches, early evening braai / barbecue as a side dish. The idea here is to use up any fresh vegetables that need using up and to avoid any waste.
I absolutely loved this salad, well for two reasons and I'm sure you'll agree that it's so fulfilling to find a way to use up any unused ingredients. Especially if they are about to reach their expiry date.
Cucumber Tomato Salad, What's To Love
- Sour cream and tahini lovers
- 5 salad ingredients
- Fresh and tangy
- Super simple and quick
This salad dressing was in an effort to scrape the last of my tahini out the jar! Tahini is something that I make myself but I was gifted by our Turkish family friends a Turkish food pack (#blessed). In that package was an authentic jar of tahini! To say that it's lasted me forever is putting it mildly because I savored it! You know how you scrape the jar of something you love? That was this tahini for me.
Fortunately it worked in the dressing and I'm very excited to tell you because it brightened up the flavors of this cucumber tomato salad!
What You Need For This Cucumber Tomato Salad
Any half pieces of vegetables that you have left in the fridge, herbs that need using up or whole vegetables that are reaching their expiry date.
- Cucumber Any cucumber.
- Tomatoes I used whole tomatoes that needed using up and the theme was chunkier pieces.
- Bell peppers - whatever color you have left but just be mindful of the green bell peppers in terms of flavor as they quite strong.
- Red onion, again if you have green spring onion that will work great. I wouldnt add yellow onion (regular cooking kind) but if you don't mind it then go with it.
- Herbs - I left the flat parsley whole because I was so excited for another fresh parsley batch from my garden I wanted to see it and not always chop it up. Looks pretty too!
- Spice - I used our vegetable spice because if you've bought it before it needs no explanation. Use your favorite vegetable spice and for our Smell and Taste natural and delicious vegetable spices visit our shop here.
And that's it friends, easy simple and fresh and you will feel so good having used up and no waste. Now we can talk a little about the dressing.
Salad Dressing For Cucumber Tomato Salad
This is a unique blend I know, it's definitely my favorite and it tastes tangy, mouthwatering (thinking about it), creamy and it will lift your salad!
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Lemon
Tips and Suggestions
I do have just one really important tip that I find works when using whole tomatoes especially.
Because fresh tomatoes are so juicy they tend to wet the whole salad but if you're aiming for a soggy free salad then I would suggest draining the tomatoes. If you have time that is. I like to cut the cucumber and tomatoes, add them both into a colander / strainer and sit it over bowl.
Not enough time to make the salad?
No problem, read my tested tip on how to get firm tomatoes and cucumbers in a salad;
Chop the cucumber and tomatoes into chunks, add them to a small colander that can fit into the fridge, cover with clingwrap and leave to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. I left these in the fridge overnight together with the cucumber.
This method drains them but they also stay whole and firm for the next day!
More Salad Recipes
Tomato Cucumber Salad
- ½ cucumber, chopped into chunks
- ½ cup fresh whole tomatoes
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ bell pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- fresh flat parsley
- ½ teaspoon vegetable spice
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup tahini
- ½ cup yogurt
- fresh lemon juice of 1 whole lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- In a jar combine all the salad dressing ingredients. Taste to adjust to your preference.
- Chop: Rinse and roughly chop into chunks the cucumber, tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Slice: Thinly slice the red onion.
- Add all the salad ingredients into a mixing bowl or plate. Pour half the salad dressing over, combine into the salad, add the remaining dressing and vegetable spice, combine again, taste, adjust, add the fresh flat parsley, serve and enjoy!