Here is another quick and easy recipe for the Instant Pot collection! Do you have 20 minutes available? Believe it or not, this Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli (which when translated means 'Pasta and Beans') takes a quick sauté and then 8 minutes before adding the pasta & beans, I kid you not! This recipes is so flavorful using a blend of spices for the sauce, a simple salt & pepper for seasoning, a few vegetables and meat. You can also omit the meat for a vegetarian option and you still get the sauce flavor. Use gluten-free pasta if you like and this recipe is also dairy-free.
An easy traditional Italian recipe that's cozy, warm and really delicious! Ready to make instant pot pasta e fagioli? Let's do it!
If you think that you can't dunk crusty bread in this soup because it already has pasta which would mean 'carbs on carbs? You're so right but it's still tastes so good and whichever way you eat it, you are sure to enjoy every bit! Talking about bread and soup, if that's also your favorite then this Carrot And Ginger Soup with cheese toast will definitely impress.
This was a pleasure to make because it quite literally ticks off all the boxes especially when the days are colder and the body craves pure comfort food. This instant pot pasta e fagioli is one of the many Italian recipes we enjoy and when I make it, it reminds me of a typical South African stew but without the pasta.
Reasons to make this Pasta e Fagioli
- It takes mere minutes to make!
- The amazing Instant Pot Creation that makes cooking so much more convenient.
- Tender meat in such a short time
- So much less work and waiting around
- Less washing up!
Pasta e Fagioli Ingredients
These ingredients are in the order that you add them into the recipe. Please watch the video to get a simple view of how to make pasta e fagioli in the IP.
Olive oil We are using this olive oil.
Beef You can use cubes (or cut into cubes yourself). Try and get meat that has an even ratio of meat to fat for a good cut of beef.
Onion Diced and here I use brown onion though I'm sure baby leeks or green onion would also work well.
Garlic It may seem a lot in the recipe card below but it depends on your taste and the size of the garlic cloves. Feel free to add less to you recipe.
Spices We use a range of spices in our kitchen including the pantry staples in this recipe. You can find our spices here.
Tomato ingredients, veggies and liquid are all added simultaneously with little to no stirring and definitely no waiting!
Cumin I finish this recipe off with a the much loved cumin spice also from our online shop. For an incredible aroma when you open the IP it's best to not stir the cumin spice in.
Parmesan cheese A slice of this Italian cheese melting into the pasta e fagioli is enough to wet the appetite! Finish with a sprig of fresh thyme, a slice of fresh lemon and fresh black pepper for that 'something extra'.
How To Make Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli
This pasta e fagioli is made using canned beans (pulse family which is high in protein and fiber), beef cubes (protein) and beautiful aromatics and vegetables. You will love this recipe and you can find the full recipe card at the bottom and you can watch the video if you prefer.
Set your Instant Pot to Sauté, and brown the meat in olive oil. Takes roughly 5 minutes to brown all round. Add the onions, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, add the garlic, spices and seasoning. It all goes so quick!
Combine and cook for 3 to 4 minutes while mixing with a wooden spoon intermittently. In the last minute add the tomato paste and let it cook in with the aromatics for a minute or so.
Add the tomatoes, carrots, water and stock, mix and add cumin spice (don't mix it in!) The aroma when you open the IP is incredible throughout the kitchen! Place the lid on, lock it in and turn the valve to SEAL.
Cancel the sauté setting and set the IP to HIGH PRESSURE for 8 minutes. When the 8 minutes is up, force pressure (quick release), wait for the pin (valve) to drop before it's safe to open the Instant Pot.
Remove the lid, add the ditalini pasta and beans, place the lid back on, valve to SEAL, set to High Pressure for 3 minutes. When the time is up, leave the IP to do a natural release for 2 minutes and force pressure for the remaining time. Once the pin (valve) has dropped, safely open the IP.
Garnish with fresh parsley, lemon wedges and Parmesan cheese.
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Chipotle Beef Stew
- Soft and Fluffy Naan
- Macaroni Pasta Bake
- Easy No Knead Bread Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
FAQ's Pasta e Fagioli
Which is better between Pasta e Fagioli and Minestrone?
These are both Italian soup recipes, the only difference is that one focuses on a variety of vegetables which is the minestrone and pasta e fagioli focuses on the pasta and beans. They both taste cozy, comforting and delicious!
Which pasta can I use for pasta e fagioli?
Ditalini pasta is the recommended pasta to use for this recipe because it's shorter than most making it ideal for soups.
Do I have to add meat and which meat for pasta fagioli?
Like most traditional recipes, pasta e fagioli is region (province) dependent. Some regions make it with meat and some without.
What beans are used in pasta e fagioli?
You can use fresh beans but then you need to soak them overnight or you can use canned beans. Anything from bartolini beans, butter beans, red kidney beans. There's a wide variety of beans that you can alternate with from fresh to canned it just depends on what you want to make.
More Soup Recipes To Love
Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli (Pasta & Beans)
- 500 grams Beef meat cubes
- 3 Tbsps Olive oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric spice
- 1 teaspoon Cumin spice, divided
- 2 Tbsps Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Involtini spice
- 1 teaspoon Salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsps Tomato paste
- 400 Grams Canned tomatoes
- 1 Cup Water
- 4 Cups Beef stock
- 2 Cups Dialing pasta
- 400 Grams Canned butter beans
- Fresh herbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the oil. Wait for it to heat up and add the beef cubes. Use a wooden spoon to stir and prevent then meat from sticking. It should take about 5 minutes for the meat the change from raw pink to overall brown.500 grams Beef meat cubes, 3 Tbsps Olive oil
- Add the onions and mix them in, stirring intermittently, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and give it all another mix.1 Onion, diced, 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- Add the the spices; turmeric, cumin (divided), smoked paprika, Involtini spice, salt and pepper. Combine the spices and meat well together and add the tomato paste, mixing it into the aromatics.½ teaspoon Turmeric spice, 1 teaspoon Cumin spice, divided, 2 Tbsps Paprika, ½ teaspoon Involtini spice, 1 teaspoon Salt & pepper, 2 Tbsps Tomato paste
- Add the tomatoes, carrots, water and stock. Give everything a good mix, sprinkle the remaining cumin spice (don't mix) and place lid onto the IP.2 Carrots, chopped, 400 Grams Canned tomatoes, 4 Cups Beef stock, 1 Cup Water
- Turn the vavle to SEAL and cancel the saute setting then set the IP to HIGH PRESSURE for 8 minutes. When the IP is finished turn the vavle to VENT to force pressure out. Once the valve has dropped, open the IP and add the ditalini pasta and beans. Seal the lid again as above and this time set for 3 minutes.2 Cups Dialing pasta, 400 Grams Canned butter beans
- When the IP is done, turn the valve again to VENT and force pressure out. Open the IP when the valve has dropped.
- Add chopped fresh herbs and serve with sliced fresh Parmesan cheese.Fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese