This is the best way to have a meal pronto on the table in 15 minutes! Get yourself a bag of frozen prawns, let's start there. Keep it in the freezer and the day that you want a quick, easy and delicious meal that's not going to take you 1400 hours then pull your frozen prawn packet out the freezer.
Finding fresh prawns in South Africa can be quite the challenge. Our prawns generally come from Mozambique or other countries. Our waters are so large and deep making it a little impossible for the nets to get down to the prawns however, for example in Mozambique the waters are a lot more shallow making it more attainable.
Right, back to prawn recipe!
PRAWN LIME PASTA
Besides the fact that this recipe takes 15 minutes to make it's also got no cream in. I love recipes with cream, we all do! Just take a look at my Creamy Scallops, Perfectly Round and Sensational and you will see what I'm saying. However, sometimes, just sometimes you want to taste the food and not let the cream over power the pasta or the prawns and here that is exactly what I went with. A simple non complicated flavor balanced meal where the taste of the crunchy buttery prawns, garlic, olive oil pasta with lemony tones was not overpowered by any cream or sauce.
For a more saucy also amazing seafood pasta recipe you can take a look at this Seafood Pasta in Tomato Sauce
- light and summary
- perfect flavor balance of garlic, lime and oil
Just to clear up any confusion, these are not shrimp. These are prawns. To see yet another seafood recipe but this time with shrimp, you can take a look at my flavorful link
WHERE TO BUY FROZEN PRAWNS
and where I bought my 500 grams frozen prawns....
- Seafood outlets
PIN THIS RECIPE HERE
Prawn Lime Pasta
- 400 grams spaghetti
- 500 grams prawns
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Flat leaf Italian parsley
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions and set aside. (Reserve some of your pasta water for later!)
- Heat olive oil & butter in a non-stick pan and saute the chopped garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Squeeze the juice from one lime into the garlic and simultaneously toss in the prawns. Let them cook on medium to high heat for about 4 minutes. Don't fiddle. Toss or carefully turn once over to brown the other side.
- Reduce heat and add in your cooked spaghetti. Gently toss or use a pair of kitchen tongs to lift and mix. If necessary, add in a spoonful or two of the pasta water that you set aside from earlier, to create a sauce for the pasta.
- Squeeze the rest of the fresh lime and zest over your dish. Serve with cracked black pepper, flat leaf parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!