These chicken thighs which have by now soaked up all the marinade taste even better along some greens and pasta. This recipe is so easy and the steps are for anyone, from beginner cook to who ever wants to give it a try and you wont be sorry. This marinade tastes amazing! You can leave them in the fridge for 30 minutes or you can leave them in the fridge for an hour but if you leave them in the fridge over night, ha ha ha the flavors are intensified. I know that if you marinade for too long scientifically the marinade stops at a certain point and it's pointless? Well there's nothing pointless here. If you marinate overnight the flavors intensify, that's the reality 🙂 So good!
MARINATED CHICKEN AND PASTA BOWL
I really wasn't sure which was better!? The pasta and chicken marinade with some peas, pasta water and 'gravy' marinade or the chicken bowl! My goodness, they both worked wonderfully. A few dollops of homemade tahini reminded me once again why I simply adore bowl food. You get that wholesome variety in one setting and as much as I do try to get my husband to see that he's just more of a simple human, 1 or 2 foods at a time please and he cleaned that pasta and chicken out with compliments so that's very, very good. I am married to my best and worst critic after all 🙂
CHICKEN THIGH MARINADE
Add all the marinade ingredients into a jug, whisk it all together, taste for measure, pour over the chicken thighs, turn over a few times and get the whole lot into a freezing plastic bag. Leave in the fridge to marinate.
You can simply pour the marinade from the jug into the bag and straight into the fridge but I just prefer having them in a dish first, like an oven tray with sides so the marinade doesn't overflow. There is absolutely no seasoning that goes onto the chicken before the marinade or it's all too much. When the chicken breasts are in the dish, use a pair of tongs to turn them over a few times then I get them them into the bag one by one and pour the marinade over. You're all set to some deliciousness.
PAR BOILED PASTA
Cook the pasta as per your packet instructions which in most cases is bring a pot of water to boil, add salt, add the pasta and let it cook for anything between 8 and 12 minutes depending on the type of pasta you are using. Par boiled is simply removing it from the heat a minute or 2 before you think it's ready. The pasta is added to the marinade and the chicken so it cooks finish in the pan.
CHICKEN THIGH MARINADE
This marinade can be prepared in advance and left in the fridge for when you are ready to use it. When you do have chicken thighs, and they are defrosted, all that's left is rinse them under a running tap, let them either drip dry in a colander or tap them dry with clean kitchen towel.
Lay the chicken thighs in a flat pan or dish, as long as it has sides so the marinade is not spilling. Then pour the marinade over over them chicken. Using a pair of tongs, turn them over a few times in the marinade, taste for perfection. If the need a little more of any one of the ingredients use a teaspoon/tablespoon to add. If you want less of a taste of any of the ingredients add a tablespoon of filtered water. This is ONLY if you don't like the taste of the marinade but please remember that even if it might taste strong for you, don't worry because it will cook down in the simmer with the coconut milk.
How to serve this spicy chicken thigh marinade that is prepared in a homemade spice mix, skillet seared in fresh garlic cloves and finished off in a creamy coconut gravy? Sounds like a weird combination I know but if weird is another level of deliciousness then I will have weird any day.
If you try this recipe please leave a comment below and definitely let me know on Instagram by sharing your creations and tagging me, that would be wonderful and I can share yours too.
Serve with Crunchy Crispy Roast Potatoes With Bacon and Peas or leave the peas out since they're already in this recipe and go with just roasted potato side salad, pasta quinoa or a simple fluffy basmati rice. Even shredded into some wraps, regardless there are numerous ways to serve it and using the chicken in this bowl was a wonderful idea especially with the creamy avocado and tahini, oh my goodness it still makes my mouth water :)))
ADDING THE PASTA TO THIS CHICKEN THIGH MARINADE
Because why not!? And who doesn't love pasta? I have not met anyone who doesn't eat pasta. They might not care much for it, they might not be opposed to it (????) but I have never met anyone who doesn't like it.
If you watch the video below you will notice that the pasta is par boiled and only goes in after the marinade has thickened and the chicken is cooked. The pasta goes in for the last 4 minutes or so and then you have an unbelievable tasty pasta marinated chicken dish which should look something like this:
For more delicious ideas for Buddha bowls you can subscribe for free to my newsletter, never miss a recipe and receive 3 E-Recipe books each with 5 quick, easy and delicious recipes!
- Meat Lover's Guide
- For The Love of Pasta
- Vegan Buddha Bowls
Widget not in any sidebars
There is no wrong or right way with spices but there is that perfect combination of a few that can give you just the right amount of good flavor to change your dish from ordinary to all the way extra ordinary!
These are just some of the spices that you can use in this recipe but again, no right or wrong ones so use your favorites.
- citrus zest
- cayenne, paprika or chili
WATCH A SHORT VIDEO BELOW TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HOW THIS CHICKEN THIGH MARINADE IS MADE
Chicken Thigh Marinade With Pasta
- 1.5 kg chicken thighs about 6 thighs
- ½ cup low sodium soy Yes ½ cup!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- choose your spices see list in this post or choose your own preferred spices.
- 200 grams pasta of your choice
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken spice
- ½ teaspoon paprika spice
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt + a pinch
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 400 ml coconut milk or half and half with cream
- Mix all the chicken marinade ingredients in a jug. Place the room temperature chicken thighs down on a tray. Pour the marinade over the chicken and use a pair of tongs to turn it over a few times before adding the thighs into a reusable freezer bag followed by the marinade. Leave in the fridge for an hour or overnight.
Cook The Chicken Marinade & Pasta
- Bring a pot of water to the boil to cook the pasta. Once boiling, add the salt, stir it into the water and as the water spins toss in the pasta. Let the pasta cook according to your packet instructions, minus 2 to 3 minutes. That's when you remove it to get par boiled pasta, It will cook finish in the pan. Set it aside reserving about a cup of the pasta water.
- Heat a skillet on medium to high heat.
- Add the butter and olive oil to heat.
- Add the spice followed by the garlic, Using a wooden spoon mix the garlic and spice into the oil and butter and let it cook for a few seconds.
- Add the marinaded chicken followed by a pinch of salt.
- Leave the chicken to cook on medium high heat to brown. Turn over once when you think it's brown but use a tongs or spoon to keep slighly lifting it to stop it from burning but only turn it once. Keep an eye on it. If it's burning too fast then your stove is too hot so lower it a little. Lift and tilt the pan a little to get the oil and juices across the pan to all the chicken. Scrap the bottom of the pan to keep it from sticking and to get the flavor onto the chicken. Use a spoon to keep basting with the oils.
- After turning the 2nd time and the chicken has slightly browned on both sides . At least 3 to 4 minutes on each side, add ½ of the chicken stock. As you add the stock scrape up the bottom of the pan and mix it into the gravy.
- Cover the skillet with a piece of foil so that it cooks without losing all the gravy. 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the foil and if the gravy is finished, add a little more stock or water, about ¼ cup and then cook for 3 minutes.
- At this point you can remove the chicken and set aside. Add the coconut milk, cream or half and half. Let it simmer to a thickness you prefer. Return the chicken, push aside, add the pasta. Increase the heat to high for a few seconds, mix, toss and remove from the heat.