This easy chicken curry has tender chicken pieces cooked in a rich creamy sauce and warm spices, ready in 30 minutes. The shorter version of perhaps a traditional curry but equally satisfying in half the time, the taste is definitely something expected from restaurant quality food, at home.
There are some days that nothing else will do but a curry. It's usually when I'm restless not knowing what I want to eat. The days that takeaway is contemplated but never actioned based of the many disappointments. You do get days like that right? Tell me it's not just me and feel free to leave me a comment below because nothing is better than your comments and ratings! I honestly received the best rating the other day for one of my recipes that simply warmed my heart. Everyone needs the encouragement irrespective of gender, age etc. so remember that on blogs, family, friends, pets, everyone. Obviously I'm a big just be kind hashtag person 🙂
Why You're Going To Love This Easy Chicken Curry
You are going to love this curry because it's downright delicious! The steps are so easy to follow it's simply add, stir and taste.
You can serve with rice, bread, roasted vegetables, soft naan bread but you will appreciate the taste so much that you will see that it doesn't need much else. You know that satisfyingly good curry that's not over hot that you can't taste the food, this is it. Not hot, a little spicy and if you check the quantities in the ingredient list, (recipe card below) you'll notice that they are all very little. Obviously you can increase depending on your taste buds but I found the balance was just the right amount of each. My husband thoroughly enjoyed this curry and that says a lot because he is very difficult with food (Laawd knows).
Although a great curry normally involves making a paste from scratch like this Chicken Vindaloo Curry or roasting the dry spices first, this is a much shorter version.
Why You Should Make This Easy Chicken Curry
Incase you're wondering what goes into a curry or why you should make this recipe, here's a few good ones;
- This chicken curry can be made in 30 minutes
- No roasting or toasting the spices
- No marinating
- Canned tomatoes
Lets talk about what you need in terms of ingredients. Also the role or variations of these ingredients.
What Goes Into This Easy Chicken Curry
Made with kitchen staples like onion, garlic, a few warm spices, tomato and cream. The ingredients are simple yet this curry delivers such tasty subtle notes. Please note that this is not a classic Indian recipe but it is a classic family chicken curry recipe.
Chicken: Breasts or thighs. Thighs have more flavor but will take longer to cook because of the fat content that chicken breasts don't have. We all know that fat equals flavor so chicken thighs will bring a rich flavor in comparison to breasts. That being said the difference in cook time in a curry is nothing substantial so use what you have and prefer.
Aromatics: Garlic, ginger, onion and tomato paste. This is where you get your flavor profile so give some it some love.
Spices: Curry powder otherwise you can't call it a curry! Use your preferred curry powder.
Chicken stock: Stock (low sodium) adds so much flavor especially in a coconut cream based dish. If you're worried about your salt intake then check the packaging labels or use less salt in the recipe.
Coconut cream: If you taste before you add the cream you will love this chicken recipe. Taste after the cream and it's even better!
Parsley and chives to garnish is my favorite but coriander fans go for it.
Servings With This Chicken Curry
More Great Curry Recipes
Looking For More Recipes?
- Subscribe to my free newsletter
- Follow along Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for updates
- Shop our online store for quality all natural spices.
Easy Chicken Curry
- 3 tbsps. butter
- 2 tbsps. oil
- 400 grams chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 400 grams canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsps. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. red curry powder See notes below
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander spice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ cardamom spice
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛th teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 1 cup coconut cream
- chopped cilantro / flat parsley / chives (any)
- Heat the butter and oil in a skillet or any non stick pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium high heat till shimmering and soft. Add the garlic and ginger cook for 1 to 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the cubed chicken, curry powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, paprika and nutmeg. Add salt and stir making sure all the spices are combined into the chicken.
- Add the tomato paste, stir it in and leave it to cook into the spices and chicken for 2 minutes. Stir making sure it doesn't burn.
- Add the canned tomatoes and pour the stock or water into the empty can, give it a swirl and pour it into the chicken.
- Cook for 7 to 8 minutes on medium to high heat before adding coconut cream. Stir and continue cooking in for another minute or 2.
- Serve with fresh herbs - parsley, coriander or chives with soft naan bread.