This Spicy Salmon is for the spice lovers of the world, it certainly awakens the taste buds! Tender, yet firm, oven baked in a lemon, olive oil and spice sauce. This recipe is quick, easy, delicious and perfect for any day of the week lunch or dinner!
This month of January has been nothing but healthy recipes trying desperately to reset our bodies after all the Christmas food! Salmon, fish and chicken are some of what I've been cooking up on the grill, oven baked, pan fried you name it.
Because salmon is not an every day luxury since the high price tag, we thoroughly enjoy and savor over any salmon dish. I shop around for salmon and sometimes when I'm lucky I find some really big fresh ones at Food Lover's Market otherwise, Woolworths.
Spicy Salmon Recipe
This has got to be one of my favorite ways to not only prepare the salmon but how to cook it too. You can interchange the spices if you don't have our spice range yet, however, don't leave it out purely for the added flavor! In this recipe we've used the Smell and Taste Aromatic Cajun spice, Italian Calabrese and Salt & Pepper. Our spices are not heavily laden with salt at all so adding it to your cooking is more than okay.
Shop all our natural ingredients here.
How To Make This Spicy Salmon Recipe
Start by mixing the spices in olive oil and set it aside. This is a real flavor packed taste that makes you tilt your head and feel what's happening in your mouth. It's spicy, a little salty, lemony, a little savory and that smoky umami coming through.
Brush the bottom of an oven dish with a slight drizzle of olive oil, more like a teaspoon full. You can use baking paper in you want, to avoid the dish getting dirty but it's unnecessary, because salmon hardly ever sticks and you can save on the paper.
Season with salt and pepper first on a board and then place the salmon fillets, skin down, into the lightly greased oven dish. Spread the spice and oil mix over the salmon, no need to turn it over. You can use a brush to do this, I find the back of a teaspoon or my fingers work better. Add some lemon slices into the dish and pour about a teaspoon more of olive oil over the fish.
Into the oven it goes to bake for 10 minutes, these salmon fillets are not as thick as these pan seared version. After 10 minutes, remove the dish from the oven and turn the grill on, move the rack up one bar closer to the grill. Give the grill a couple minutes to get hot 3 to 4 minutes and then return the dish to the oven for 2 to 4 minutes. These fillets needed just under 3 minutes in the grill. Remove from the oven.
Remember to adjust the timing according to the thickness, not much though, by a minute or 2 for slightly thicker salmon fillets.
Why You Need To Remove The Dish From The Oven
Salmon cooks very quickly and you want it tender not over cooked but not undercooked. When you remove the oven dish and turn the grill on, depending on your stove it will take a minute or two for the grill to get hot. In the time the grill gets hot, you don't want the salmon in there cooking all the while. The 2 to 4 minutes grill time starts from when the grill is hot. Place the dish back in and watch it when it's on grill so it doesn't go too long.
Set your timer for 2 minutes and check, add another minute or 2 at most. All in all, you salmon would have cooked for 14 minutes, and that's all it needs for a cooked, firm yet still tender and delicious salmon fillet.
What To Serve With Spicy Salmon
I love salmon with veggies like butternut, sweet potato and green beans. Otherwise rice and salmon is a good one too. We also enjoy salmon with mashed potato. There are a number of salads to choose from if you prefer.
How To Store Cooked Salmon
You can store cooked salmon in an airtight container in the fridge, or wrapped in foil. Covering the salmon with cling wrap and then refrigerating is also another option.
To reheat salmon, it's quicker in the microwave for a quick couple of seconds. If you find it a little dry, add some melted butter.
Looking For More Salmon Recipes? Here you go:
- Pan Seared Salmon
- Salmon And Rice
- Mediterranean Salmon Salad With A Stunning Vinaigrette
- Salmon, Quinoa and Chickpea Salad
- Creamy Smoked Salmon and Pasta Recipe
OH and please, before you make this - Please leave a review and rating letting us know how liked the recipe, helps this blog provide more free recipes.
Spicy Salmon Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 385 F
- Brush a teaspoon of olive oil onto a baking dish.
- Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil into the spices, blend and set aside.
- On aboard, place the salmon fillets skin side down and pat them dry, Sprinkle with a light seasoning of salt and pepper. No need to turn them over.
- Transfer the fillets to the prepared baking dish and spread the oil and spice mix covering the fillets. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the dish from the oven, turn the oven setting to grill, move the rack up one level, and give the grill a minute to get hot. When the grill is hot, return the salmon fillets to the oven for 2 to 4 minutes. Put your timer on for 2 minutes grilling time, from the time that the grill is hot and the salmon is in. After 2 minutes, check and give it another minute or 2 if necessary.Your salmon would've cooked for a total of 14 minutes which is more than adequate for a tender cooked salmon fillet.
- Remove the salmon from the oven and garnish with chopped parsley to serve.