I love a smoothie for breakfast or a bowl of granola but eggs always seem to fit perfectly with breakfast on any day. This spinach, chickpeas and egg bake is real quick to make with 5 minutes on the stove and 5 minutes to finish in the oven. You getting your protein in for the day and a good healthy start so give it a try, its also a mouthful of deliciousness!
I think what most of us like about one pan meals is the no washing up of 100 dishes factor. It's wonderful, use one pan and make sure that it can go in the oven otherwise you'll have to transfer to an oven safe dish. I say that it's a problem but it's not! It's one extra dish so do it please!
The pan used in this recipe doesn't come with it's own lid or cover so I cover using a sheet of foil and it works fine.
How To Make Eggs and Vegetable Bake
Here are a few simple suggestions and tips:
Start by preheating the oven.
Get the pan on the stove with the oil and onions on medium heat.
Let the onions cook for a good 2 minutes until soft when the edges and corners are about to go golden brown.
While the onions are sautéing get the chickpeas into the colander and give them a quick rinse. I know that I've spent time writing a paragraph when I made hummus about peeling the chickpeas. Yes I did, but it's okay here, rinse them and look away from those peels!
Add baby spinach, season and crack the eggs into the little wells that you made with the spoon.
You can add another vegetable if you like. Here I've added baby fennel to roast as well. The fennel was already cooked from earlier so a quick roast in the pan was sufficient.
Cheese is also a wonderful addition so feel free to add your favorites. I used mozzarella balls but so many other cheese choices will work.
So this recipe was an immediate inspiration from my Flavorful Shakshuka Recipe that I made and posted to Instagram and got a whole lot of love! If you enjoyed it or tried it you will love this one too!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
You are more than welcome to comment and rate this recipe below, thank you!
Shop our online store for quality all natural spices.
Eggs and Vegetable Bake
- 400 grams canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 cups baby spinach
- ½ onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- ¼ cup tomato marinara sauce
- 3 tbsps. olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180°C, rack in the middle of the oven.
- Heat a large pan, add the oil and cook the onions followed by the garlic when the onions are soft and about to turn golden brown.
- Add the spinach, mix it into the chickpeas and sauce. It doesn't need to cook, simply combine. Turn the heat to low and make wells for the eggs. Crack the eggs into the wells, cover the pan and transfer it to the oven.
- Cook till the eggs are done about 5 to 8 minutes or to your liking.