Easy chicken in tomato sauce recipe all cooked in one skillet. These chicken fillets are seared in a hot pan/skillet and into the oven to finish cooking and for the flavors to come together full circle. This recipe is probably something very different because I mean who adds bocconcini cheese balls into chicken and potato bake? My Anosmic Kitchen 100% does that 🙂
This food blog as you may know if you've been following along here and on Instagram is all about full on flavor. Never compromising on flavor and constantly looking for new ways to creatively cook and prepare food.
Like the idea of new ways to make food taste good? Take a look at my Super Simple Recipe Collection.
The additions of the cheese herbed balls and potatoes are optional but so worth it! Without these it would still carry the flavor because of the tomato sauce, but the 'extras' make it a complete and utterly delicious meal!
The less pots and pans you can use the better so this one skillet chicken dinner is not only quick and easy, it's also super convenient. You spend a couple of minutes doing the prep and the oven does the rest.
How To Make This Chicken In Tomato Sauce Recipe?
You want to start these fillets off in a hot pan to sear, purely based on flavor. That nice golden brown color on the chicken is part of all the flavor that you're adding into your meal. There is a very big difference in taste if you simply season your fillets and get them into the oven without searing. Also, the bits of chicken, oil and seasoning that remain in the pan after searing all go straight in with the rest of the ingredients into the oven. Not compromising an inch with the flavor.
Chicken Breasts - These chicken breasts were quite thick and were cooked without pounding them down. Pounding helps to cook them quicker and I prefer that method if I'm grilling. In this recipe a simple salt and pepper seasoning, sear and then into the oven to bake. The time that they are in the oven helps the sauce develop a nice thickness. Whereas if they were pounded I would've taken them out earlier before the sauce bubbled away into deliciousness.
Baby Potatoes - No cutting, rinse, season and cook. Now, the potatoes were cooked in an air fryer. Nice and easy. If you have one you know how it works, if not take a look at this Air Fryer Potatoes recipe.
How To Prep The Potatoes
Wash, pat or air dry. Make a mix of olive and oil and your favorite spice/seasoning.
Potato Cooking Methods:
Air-fry: Make an olive oil, salt & pepper and your favorite Smell & Taste seasoning paste. Cover the potatoes in it and air fry. Five or so minutes before the chicken is ready, add the air-fried potatoes and return the tray to the oven.
Cooking in the microwave, simply poke random holes in them and microwave on high till almost done. Toss into an oil and seasoning mix and set aside. They only get added to the pan half way through the cooking.
Cooking with the chicken, add them in at the same time as the chicken.
Par boil - Cover them in water (salt is not necessary) bring to the boil and just before they are completely cooked take them out. Roll the potatoes in some oil and seasoning and add them into the chicken bake halfway through.
Getting the potatoes done separately is not necessary, yes you can add them straight in with the chicken and be done with dinner! Quick and easy.
As mentioned earlier, this recipe is from my super simple recipe collection and because I've been air fryer bat crazy recently and loved the crisp finish I got from the potatoes so I decided to add that into this recipe card for you.
Tomato - fresh tomato
Passata - For the sauce. Makes it nice and thick and adds flavor.
13 Spice (For all you chicken dishes!) - Natural herbs and spices creating maximum flavor to your all your chicken dishes! Also great as a meat rub. As you can see there was no garlic and onion fried for this recipe and it was not at all necessary.
White wine - To help build on the sauce and for flavor but you can use stock too and if you must, water.
Bocconcini - Simply use a tiny drizzle of oil over these with tiny bits of chopped fresh basil or parsley. Coat them in the mix before adding to the chicken in tomato sauce bake.
More Recipes Ideas
- Turmeric Chicken & Potato Roast
- Easy Chicken and Pasta Recipe
- Italian Antipasti
- Spinach and Berry Salad With A Berry Salad Dressing
You are more than welcome to comment and rate this recipe below.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
Shop our online store for quality all natural spices.
Chicken in Tomato Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fresh tomato diced
- 8 baby potatoes washed, skin on (See notes below)
- ½ cup Bocconcini cheese + a drizzle of olive oil
- fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup tomato passata
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoons 13 spice chicken and Garlic & Herb ½ teaspoon each
- teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- Prep your chicken by seasoning with salt and pepper and heat the oven to 190° C
- Add the sauce ingredients into a measuring jug and mix. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or any oven friendly pan and add the two tablespoons of oil, cook the chicken fillets till light golden brown in each side. Should take about 4 to 6 minutes on each side depending on how thick the fillets are.
- Add the diced tomato between the fillets and pour the sauce over the chicken breasts.
- Pour the wine/stock or water (which suits you) into the pan from the side so that you're not pouring over the chicken and tomato.
- Add the potatoes, a drizzle of olive oil over the food and bake in the middle rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the bocconcini cheese and the chopped parsley bits and let it stand 10 minutes or before serving. Enjoy!