Brussel sprouts, crunchy, caramelized, cheezy with a zing? You decide in this recipe as I'm sharing both the oven roasted and air fryer sprouts. This beautiful bright green vegetable is from the same family as cabbage, cauliflower, kale and broccoli and also my new favorite!
This brussel sprouts recipe is possibly the easiest side dish that you will make. I've been sauteeing, roasting, steaming and air frying them and it seems I can't have enough.
How To Serve Brussel Sprouts
Not just a side dish with your roast meat but here are a few more options.The nutty taste and texture of Brussel sprouts lends itself to a variety of serving ideas.
- As a "popcorn" snack, it makes a great snack
- With a creamy dip like this Mascarpone Cheese Dip Arrange the caramelized sprouts around the dip in a plate.
- A vegetable platter much like this fruit platter
- With bacon bits and/or with maple syrup. No surprise there that my husband liked the bacon bits version. Me, not so much, I prefer vegetables to remain as vegetables, and not turn into bacon????
I must say that another great way that I enjoy Brussel sprouts is definitely with mustard or sour cream. I told you these sprouts are my new favorite side (snack) dish.
Brussel sprouts is perhaps not everyone's choice for a side dish but hear me out. Often, it's not the food that we don't like, it's the way in which it's been prepared. Or the way in which we remember it being cooked. Considering that, it's time to roast and season the Brussel sprouts well to bring out the best nutty snack!
I've never not liked Brussel sprouts but that's different for the rest of my family. Roasting or steaming are how I always make them. You can add your favorite seasoning and a squeeze of fresh lemon with sea salt. Once steamed, if you still want that roasted earthy taste, simply add them to a pan with oil or butter for a quick toasted Brussel sprouts.
Preparing Brussel Sprouts
Preparing the brussel sprouts couldn't be much easier no matter how you are going to cook them.
- Rinse the brussel sprouts and pat them dry before cooking.
- Cut the hard tips off and discard.
Cut them in half. I read on an agriculture website that if you cut a small criss cross on the stem, they cook more tender.
Generally I cut them in half, and if there's any smaller ones, leave them whole. I haven't tried the criss criss pattern just yet. Try it and leave me a comment below.
Coat the brussel sprouts in a basic salt pepper, olive oil and your favorite spice.
Ingredients You Will Need
A short list with one vegetable, seasoning and oil, couldn't be easier!
- Brussel sprouts: Choose Brussel sprouts that are bright in color and fresh, that's the obvious. What's not obvious is that the smaller sprouts are more tender than the larger ones.
- Olive oil: The olive oil will not only add flavor but also help the roasting process.
- Salt and pepper: Season to taste.
- Vegetable seasoning/spice: You can add the seasoning at the end to avoid it burning though with the olive oil it clings onto the sprouts.
If you want a little more flavor, add your favorite spice, we've used the Smell and Taste aromatic Paprika spice.
How To Make Roasted Brussel Sprouts
A nice hot oven, cleaned and well seasoned Brussel sprouts is all you need.
- Preheat the oven to 190/200 degrees Celsius. Oven dependent since they are all different.
- Place a sheet of baking paper for easier clean up and toss the well coated sprouts on.
- You can oven roast them cut side down or not it doesn't matter. It just means some will roast on the opposite side and that's okay it doesn't have to be perfect looking but it must be delicious!
Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
Exactly the same information as above and also follow the same preparation method. Air fryer Brussel sprouts are as easy and as convenient as any air fryer recipe!
As mentioned in so many of my recipes, seasoning ad you go and spices are sadly underestimated in how much they can change your meal. That's irrespective of whether you can or cannot cook.
How To Make Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
Place a sheet of aluminum foil for easy lean up or a sheet of baking paper in the air fryer.
Season the sprouts, add spice and olive oil.
Add them into the air fryer basket, add paremsan cheese and air fry on 190 degrees Celsius.
Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, sea salt and light drizzle of olive oil.
Spice and Seasoning
These are the flavor bombs used from Smell and Taste in this recipe.
Salt and pepper: Premixed fresh black pepper and Himalayan salt and Sea salt.
Vegetable Spice: Spices and herbs freshly made with dehydrated vegetables.
Paprika Dry Rub: This is an aromatic blend of spices and herbs.
Find all the Smell and Taste natural products here.
More Roast Recipes
- Roasted Vegetables
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes Recipe
- Roasted Eggplant (Melanzane Aubergine)
- Steak and Roasted Vegetables
- Crispy Crackling Slow Roasted Pork Belly With Vegetables
- Topside Roast Beef With Vegetables and Gravy
More Air Fryer Recipes
Let me know if you make this Brussel Sprouts recipe by commenting below. Your star rating is most appreciated! Let us see your recipes, by using @anosmickitchen in your Instagram post and #anosmickitchen
Brussel Sprouts, Oven Roast and Air Fryer
- 300 grams Brussel sprouts cleaned, hard ends removed and cut in halved if they are too big.
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt & pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable spice from Smell and Taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika seasoning from Smell and Taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Rinse and clean the Brussel sprouts by cutting off the hard bit on the end and cutting the sprouts in half. Leave the smaller ones whole.
- Follow the recipe above except preheating the oven.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil in the basket of the air fryer for easy clean up.
- Add the cleaned, seasoned brussel sprouts into the air fryer.
- Grate Parmesan cheese and air fry 190 C for 10 minutes.
I know that once you've made the recipe, it may feel like such a nuisance to come back and leave a comment and rating, but please, do come back and do just that. Besides it making the world of difference to hear from you, it will also help my blog and I would be ever so grateful!